Trains.com

Trackside with Trains vol. 162 live to view and vote

8 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 109 posts
Trackside with Trains vol. 162 live to view and vote
Posted by Matt Quandt on Monday, April 11, 2011 10:18 AM

Trackside with Trains vol. 162 is now live! The latest round features eight images of Railroad Crossings.

View the selection and vote for your favorite.

-Matt Quandt Online Content Editor Kalmbach Publishing Co.

• 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Monday, April 11, 2011 10:57 AM

Tom got my vote for composition and action.  Matt was on the right track for total uniqueness if only there were a string of cars the other side of the gate.  Even I've taken all the other shots.

RIDEWITHMEHENRY is the name for our almost monthly day of riding trains and transit in either the NYCity or Philadelphia areas including all commuter lines, Amtrak, subways, light rail and trolleys, bus and ferries when warranted. No fees, just let us know you want to join the ride and pay your fares. Ask to be on our email list or find us on FB as RIDEWITHMEHENRY (all caps) to get descriptions of each outing.

• 146 posts
Posted by TOMinTN on Monday, April 11, 2011 4:42 PM

There are several good entries here...but I like the simplicity of the Reader Submission photo.

Oh...and the wording regarding the link to the forum (contained in the e-mail that announced that the series was ready for viewing) is still misleading...mentioning "last week's".

I still contend that there should be a link to the comment forum right below the place where the totals are posted.

Tom in Nashville

• 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Monday, April 11, 2011 7:32 PM

.....Many qualified, nice photos to choose from.  Especially as we go to the zoom version, it becomes more difficult to decide.

I vote for Paul North's photo.  Looking at the zoom iteration, I see lots of "railroad" in his photo....and of course the necessary crossing in the near distance.  I get the feeling of being right there with the tracks seemingly, very close to me.

I debated about Matt's crossing warning light {up close}....I liked that.  Certainly something railroad, but different, and the item up close, sharp in vision.  But, again....One vote...so I decided on Paul's.

Edit:  Yes, I agree there should be a link to the "comment forum", somewhere more convenient.

Quentin

• 24,862 posts
Posted by tree68 on Monday, April 11, 2011 11:58 PM

I went with Tom's, but Paul was in the running.  Matt gets a nod for a unique approach to the theme.

LarryWhistling
Resident Microferroequinologist (at least at my house) 
Everyone goes home; Safety begins with you
My Opinion. Standard Disclaimers Apply. No Expiration Date
Come ride the rails with me!
There's one thing about humility - the moment you think you've got it, you've lost it...

• 59 posts
Posted by Choo Choo Aussie on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:37 AM

Paul's and Matt's were good for trying to be different but I have said it before I like to see trains on the tracks.  The rest were all very good which made it difficult to choose just one.  Tom's was good but everyone seems to pick the steam Trains.  I wanted something more modern.  I ended up going with Drew's.  But was a difficult choice.  Alex's,  Andy's, Mike Yuhas's and Mike Roque's were all good photos. 

• 13,479 posts
Posted by CSSHEGEWISCH on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:05 AM

I went with Matt Martin's shot because it was distinctive and different.  I've shot variations of the other photos so nothing in those photos really jumped out at me.

The daily commute is part of everyday life but I get two rides a day out of it. Paul
  • 9 posts
Posted by Tehachapi Tony on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:05 PM

I voted for Roque's picture because it was the one met the requirements and best reflected the issues of Operation Lifesaver. Tehachapi Tony

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:51 PM

Mike Yuhas got my vote this time.  I just liked the composition, and the fact that I'd be able to see most of an interesting train while waiting for it.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy