Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Short Line Incentive Per Diem Boxcars

12 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 3,495 posts
Short Line Incentive Per Diem Boxcars
Posted by nbrodar on Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:20 AM

I love Shortline/IPD boxcars.   In addition to a large number of Bev-Bel cars, I have a bunch I painted my self.

Woodsville Terminal (Highball Graphics, Accurail):

Vermont Northern (Herald King, Accurail):

MR's own Turtle Creek Central (Microscale, Athearn):

St. Johnsbury and Lamoille Country (Herald King, Atlas TM):

Berlin Mills and Clarendon & Pittsford (Herald King, Atlas TM):

Currently awaiting procurement of suitable undec cars are Bay Colony, Green Mountain Ry, St. Lawrence & Atlantic, Vermont Ry (SSI scheme), and Virginia Central.

Nick

Take a Ride on the Reading with the: Reading Company Technical & Historical Society http://www.readingrailroad.org/

• 17,574 posts
Posted by BRAKIE on Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:33 AM

Nick,Great looking cars..Thumbs Up

I to like the IPD short line boxcars..

Larry

Conductor.

Summerset Ry.

"Stay Alert, Don't get hurt  Safety First!"

• 5,084 posts
Posted by G Paine on Sunday, April 3, 2011 11:09 AM

nbrodar
Currently awaiting procurement of suitable undec cars are...

Nick

Nick, I hope you are not holding your breath for suitable undecorated cars to appear. The trend seems to be eliminating undecs, because "they do not sell well"Angry  Broken Heart. Better to buy the cars you want in factory paint, and strip the paint. I have done that with 2 cars a couple of days ago. If I had waited for undecs, the projects would have never have gone ahead. Bang Head Bang Head Bang Head

George In Midcoast Maine, 'bout halfway up the Rockland branch 

• 3,495 posts
Posted by nbrodar on Sunday, April 3, 2011 12:31 PM

Luckily, Accurail still produces undec models.   I have to order direct from Accurail, though.   It's just a matter of budget, now.

Nick

Take a Ride on the Reading with the: Reading Company Technical & Historical Society http://www.readingrailroad.org/

• 12,914 posts
Posted by tomikawaTT on Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:35 PM

Interesting list of roadnames.

Two others you might consider:

1. Bonhomie & Hattiesburg Southern.
  2. McCloud River

Reputedly, the B&HS had so many per diem cars that it didn't have enough track capacity to store them all.  As for the McCloud River, I remember driving along past, literally, miles of per-diem boxcars parked on an unused length of main track.  That was in the mid-1980s, just after the per-diem car balloon popped.

Chuck (Modeling Central Japan in September, 1964 - where per-diem was never heard of)

• 2,514 posts
Posted by dti406 on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:16 AM

The only problem with the Accurail cars are they are not correct for most IPD cars as they were built with Non-Terminating Ends while the Accurail car is a transition era Exterior Post car with Terminating Ends.

Some of the cars from ExactRail, Intermountain, Branchline (Now Atlas) and Athearn are better representations of the cars that the IPD makers used. Also used were the old Athearn Railbox car but it is an ACF Plate B car so the decals are a little large for the car sides.  The proper car for most of the IPC cars is the old MDC FMC Exterior Post car, unfortunately it is about 1' too wide due to a mistake by the mold maker.

Rick

Rule 1: This is my railroad.

Rule 2: I make the rules.

Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome, but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

• 3,139 posts
Posted by chutton01 on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:20 AM

So, is it forever 1979 on your layout, or will you begin adding patched-out reporting marks to those (erstwhile) Short Line IPD boxcars (hey, Cody showed how to do it on last week's Office episode)

• 17,574 posts
Posted by BRAKIE on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:39 AM

Bonhomie & Hattiesburg Southern?

-------------------------

A very rare car that  has a high price tag when found..The last one I saw was $35.00 and it sold.

I forgot who offered this car but,it was a custom painted Athearn 50' "Railbox" boxcar.

I been looking for one for several years.

Another hard to find car is the blue Aberdeen & Rockfish boxcar by Walthers.

Larry

Conductor.

Summerset Ry.

• 426 posts
Posted by Mike Kieran on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 11:38 AM

Atlas and Branchline Trains are also making Shortline IPD cars. I just take the Railbox cars, remove the lettering, and put my private name lettering on them.

Mike Kieran

Port Able Railway

I just do what the majority of the voices in my head vote on.

• 3,495 posts
Posted by nbrodar on Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:11 AM

So far my custom efforts are centered on New England cars.   I do however have factory painted cars from across the country, and I am always on the look out for more.

I use mostly Accurail cars, because the are reasonably priced and made in America.   I'll also use Athearn BB or MDC kits if I can get a good deal on them.  The Exact Rail, Intermountain, etc cars normally far exceed my budget.

Nick

• 3,549 posts
Posted by Flashwave on Friday, April 8, 2011 3:24 AM

Fill a new guy in, these are what, cars that Shorliens leased out for added funds?

-Morgan

• 17,574 posts
Posted by BRAKIE on Friday, April 8, 2011 3:50 AM

This should help explain the IPD boxcar era..

http://www.mnjrhs.org/nruc.html

Larry

Conductor.

Summerset Ry.

• 1,819 posts
Posted by cv_acr on Friday, April 8, 2011 8:58 AM

nbrodar: That's some nice paint and decal work. Almost a shame for it to be on such clunky models. A little bit of detail and those would be killer.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all