Trains.com

Trackside with Trains, vol. 160, live to view and vote

15 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 109 posts
Trackside with Trains, vol. 160, live to view and vote
Posted by Matt Quandt on Monday, March 14, 2011 11:05 AM

Trackside with Trains.com vol. 160 features images from nine photographers, including one Trains magazine reader. This round's theme: Trees.

View the selection and vote for your favorite.

-Matt Quandt Online Content Editor Kalmbach Publishing Co.

• 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Monday, March 14, 2011 11:18 AM

I cast the 3rd vote in this weeks selection....and the selectons actually leaves us all with a good selection so I expect there to be a very close vote all the way to the end.  I chose Matt's pic of the tourist line only because I am enamored with the narrow guage operations of Maine like Sandy River and the WW&F whose early existance was based on moving timber from the woods to the millls to the  mainlines.  These operations, whether in Portland, Maine or Portland, Oregon tell great stories of history, timbering, and railroading (no matter what the guage) and should get as much publicity as possible!

RIDEWITHMEHENRY is the name for our almost monthly day of riding trains and transit in either the NYCity or Philadelphia areas including all commuter lines, Amtrak, subways, light rail and trolleys, bus and ferries when warranted. No fees, just let us know you want to join the ride and pay your fares. Ask to be on our email list or find us on FB as RIDEWITHMEHENRY (all caps) to get descriptions of each outing.

• 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Monday, March 14, 2011 3:09 PM

......I like Bob Harbison's rendition for this week's theme:  Trees...

The trees seem to take over the photo, but still we have a railroad activity.  Unusual rail cars as well.  Pretty deep green colors.

There were several photos I really liked.  But using the "theme" as my guide because they were all good photos, I could select just one.

Quentin

• 24,862 posts
Posted by tree68 on Monday, March 14, 2011 3:32 PM

Bob's shot was good, but I took a fancy to Tom Nano's rendition.

Tree.

LarryWhistling
Resident Microferroequinologist (at least at my house) 
Everyone goes home; Safety begins with you
My Opinion. Standard Disclaimers Apply. No Expiration Date
Come ride the rails with me!
There's one thing about humility - the moment you think you've got it, you've lost it...

• 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Monday, March 14, 2011 3:53 PM

Yes....Tom Nano's shot would have been my selection too, if the theme would not have been "trees"....

Quentin

• 146 posts
Posted by TOMinTN on Monday, March 14, 2011 5:09 PM

Trees, trees....trees everywhere.

All of the shots complied with the theme, so it was a matter of shades, contrast, and nuances to decide which should get my vote. 

The deep rich green, set against the blue water and orange and black diesel did the job for me, and Tom Nanos got my X.

Tom in Nashville

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Monday, March 14, 2011 7:49 PM

All of the selections showed plenty of trees, so it was a matter of how you liked your trees used (as a frame, backdrop, vantage point, whatever) and how you liked your trains (mainline, local, tourist, blue, orange, funiculi, funicula). 

I gave my vote this time to Alex--the line involved is a sentimental favorite of mine.  We're going to be in that area next month (Russell, Charleston, Clifton Forge, and Staunton), but we don't expect the scenery to be quite this green yet.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 15 posts
Posted by Crud_Puppy on Monday, March 14, 2011 11:41 PM

Lots of trees as per theme.  I voted for Tom Nanos.  Well composed and nice colour.  Most of the others seemed washed out and not vivid.  A 10 second touch up in Photoshop can do wonders while not destroying the integrity of the photograph IMHO.

• 372 posts
Posted by Mr. Railman on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:14 PM

What's the next round?

• 206 posts
Posted by GP39 on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:16 PM

I liked the Mike Roque palm tree on the Muni line.

Just reviewed a pair of Charles Smiley Key System shows. That pic captures the Vibe ! 

American Train Video Reviews

Non Profit Train Video Review Information.

William

http://wjhudson.wordpress.com

• 146 posts
Posted by TOMinTN on Monday, March 28, 2011 7:42 PM

Maybe I'm as dumb as I look...but most of the time it's difficult (in a photograph) for me to tell which direction a train is going.  It was a lot easier with steam engines!

Anyhow, the only submission in this group where there was really a strong suggestion that I was looking at pusher power...and not head end pullers...was Tom Nanos entry.

I didn't think it was the best overall shot of the bunch, but it most accurately portrayed the theme.

Speaking of the theme...it's a pretty lame idea when you stop to think about it.

Tom in Nashville

• 40 posts
Posted by Thunderhands on Monday, March 28, 2011 9:06 PM

where is the link to comment on the current trackside,,,pushers? Guess they don't like our comments?

I voted for Alex's photo..awesome shot!

• 146 posts
Posted by TOMinTN on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:07 AM

If I have a gripe about Trackside (other than the fact that we don't vote on "blind submission photos")...it's the number of errors in links, and lack of links in places where they really ought to be.  For example...there ought to be a link to the comments forum right under the results when you vote...and a quick link to get from the comment forum back to the photo page.

While I'm at it, the labeling is often misleading, too.

The current (161) competition should not be referred to as "last week's" (as it usually appears in the e-mail announcing that the feature is ready to view)...but as CURRENT.

Tom in Nashville

• 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:41 AM

Yeah...somthin's messed up here...couldn't log in last night and this morn can only access last set of pics (trees) and not the current set.  Did not receive notice of 161 but ran across it having had to log onto Trains.com yesterday afternoon.  So here we are...

...I did get a peek at the pics and voted for Tom...As I figured this would be a sparsely pictured catagory as diesels usually don't show if pushing or pulling...witness the headlights lit on these pics but no red markers.  So Tom's pic grabs the grunting and growling and fuming needed to get up and over better than any of the others if only becuse of the tower of soot and grime being shot straight up in the air.  If it were seen from the rear, depending upon headlight or marker light, it might not have gotten a vote.

RIDEWITHMEHENRY is the name for our almost monthly day of riding trains and transit in either the NYCity or Philadelphia areas including all commuter lines, Amtrak, subways, light rail and trolleys, bus and ferries when warranted. No fees, just let us know you want to join the ride and pay your fares. Ask to be on our email list or find us on FB as RIDEWITHMEHENRY (all caps) to get descriptions of each outing.

• 40 posts
Posted by Thunderhands on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:24 AM

Right on ,, Tom! No Links! lets have some links folks so we can navigate here,,takes forever to load the pages sometimes! it's hit and miss...I almost get the feeling they don't want comments!! come on Pony up!!

• 15 posts
Posted by Crud_Puppy on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:21 PM

Re: Pushing hard vol. 161.  Went with Tom as only picture that actually seemed like pushing.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy