Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Posting Pics

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 20 posts
Posting Pics
Posted by abcmg68 on Monday, November 29, 2010 6:39 AM

Not being computer literate, that is, I find computers are not intuitive, could someone walk me through how to post or attache a picture (jpeg) to my post?

Thanks.

Alan

• 23,321 posts
Posted by selector on Monday, November 29, 2010 11:28 AM

You cannot attach anything of that nature.  You must link to it.  The server here has a finite capacity, so our hosts don't wish to have that capacity taken up with permanently archived graphics and attachments.  Instead, you must upload your images to a webhost, provide a direct link to the file/image, and past the URL for that server's file here in a text box.

Many of us use photobucket or railimages.com as repositories for our uploaded image files.  They have free storage space for you and will assign you a 'gallery'.  Once you upload your files, find the URL for the full-sized image   (in photobucket you, when you place your cursor over the thumbnail on your main gallery page, a drop-down menu appears below the thumbnail, upon which you would select the bottom option that imposes img tags on your file...which this server needs).  (in railimages, the full-sized image, when you have it visible, has a series of options visible below it.  You would want the direct link with img tags.  Turn it blue, copy its entire length (you'll have to scroll to get it all), and then come back here in both cases and simply paste it in a text box.).

The server here will then know where to find your file and will display it.

Crandell

• 8,571 posts
Posted by richg1998 on Monday, November 29, 2010 12:22 PM

I use a on line service called, Photo Bucket.

http://photobucket.com/

After signing up, figure out what you want for albums. After a while, you can accumulate many pictures and it can be difficult to find them in your PB account. Also, don't move the photo from one album to another.

Below is a photo of a screen shot of what I do. You can see at the lower left, IMG code. Click on the code to highlight it and copy it. Paste that code into your message.

I think PB has modified their site so look around for the IMG label.It may be over to the lower ight depending on which page you are on at the PB site.

The techies love to keep the users confused.

Trains.com techies loves to do that also.

I had not been to the PB site in maybe two months and it was changed a lot.

Rich

If you ever fall over in public, pick yourself up and say “sorry it’s been a while since I inhabited a body.” And just walk away.

• 8,571 posts
Posted by richg1998 on Monday, November 29, 2010 12:27 PM

Forgot to mention, now when I place the PC cursor over the IMG and left click on it, I see a Copied pop up at that point. I then go to the forum and paste it into the message.

Suggestion, open a second browser to do this. Much easier.

Rich

If you ever fall over in public, pick yourself up and say “sorry it’s been a while since I inhabited a body.” And just walk away.

• 78 posts
Posted by A. Wallace on Monday, November 29, 2010 2:06 PM

Since I keep my photos on either a 3.5" "floppy", or a C/D, or a flash-drive, directt from the camera, and don't store them on-line, the procedure for posting a picture in the gallery is quite simple.

Go to the "Gallery", and in the upper-right-hand area of the screen are the words, "Upload file". Click on it. There will be a small area labeled "Browse".; click on it.  Type in the location of your picture, (the drive, file or folder and name under which it is stored. You may want to re-name it, depending on how you have identified it on your "Floppy, etc.) . Click on it.

A small window is below that is for the "gallery Post Name", where you can identify your roadname if you wish.

Under that is a larger window for "Post Descriptiion", where you can type a further identification of the picture.

Scroll down, and at the lower left of the screeen are the words, "Upload Post".  Click on it, and your pictrure will, upon approval, appear in the gallery.

• 4,612 posts
Posted by Hamltnblue on Monday, November 29, 2010 3:14 PM

Nice thing about photobucket is that it will automatically size your photo's for web use when you upload them.

Springfield PA

• 15,614 posts
Posted by hon30critter on Monday, November 29, 2010 5:51 PM

Alan:

I asked the same question not too long ago and got some great help. I posted a summary of the instructions at "How To Post Pictures To A Thread" on 10-12-2010. If you go to the 'Search Our Community' line on the right side of this page (scroll down a bit), choose 'Model Railroader Forums' and enter the title above you should be able to find the thread. Your search will likely bring up other posts regarding the topic as well. Please note that the instructions I posted pertain to using Photobucket specifically. As was mentioned above you will have to use different methods to link to jpegs.

Dave

I'm just a dude with a bad back having a lot of fun with model trains, and finally building a layout!

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all