Trains.com

Trackside with Trains.com vol. 150 live to view and vote

15 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 109 posts
Trackside with Trains.com vol. 150 live to view and vote
Posted by Matt Quandt on Monday, October 25, 2010 9:00 AM

Eleven photographers, including one Trains magazine reader, submitted images for vol. 150 of our biweekly photo contest, Trackside with Trains.com.

The guest submission comes from Ron Burkhard of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.

This round's theme: While you were waiting.

View the selection and vote for your favorite.

-Matt Quandt Online Content Editor Kalmbach Publishing Co.

• 8,156 posts
Posted by henry6 on Monday, October 25, 2010 9:30 AM

The picture has to tell the story, not the written explanations.  Kathi's is perfect.  Mike, with the conductor standing by, is second.

I guess it reminds me of seeing several Erie Pacifics beside each other in Calldwell, NJ on a Saturday morn awaiting Monday monring's rush to JC; or the spread of DL&W MU's and company staring at the Bush Train shed in Hoboken saying "We're coming to get you when the time comes" for the evening rush. 

RIDEWITHMEHENRY is the name for our almost monthly day of riding trains and transit in either the NYCity or Philadelphia areas including all commuter lines, Amtrak, subways, light rail and trolleys, bus and ferries when warranted. No fees, just let us know you want to join the ride and pay your fares. Ask to be on our email list or find us on FB as RIDEWITHMEHENRY (all caps) to get descriptions of each outing.

• 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Monday, October 25, 2010 10:07 AM

After careful evaluating the photos, I was left with the thought many were similar in what they displayed and with rather even quality.

So upon checking the last photo I viewed, {Mikes}, my attention was kind of drawn to the "in command", conductor.  And he had "his train waiting", until the correct time came up on his watch to give the order to all aboard, move it out....Liked the camera view of the conductor, and the train.

Quentin

• 4,917 posts
Posted by CNW 6000 on Monday, October 25, 2010 11:01 AM

Tom Nanos' shot seemed perfect to me.  How many times have those of us with scanners heard the dispatcher tell one train to wait for another?  What else do do while you wait?  Nice shot.

Dan

• 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Monday, October 25, 2010 4:05 PM

A lot of good pictures in this one, and anybody would deserve to win.  My choice was Drew's, and the deer had nothing to do with it--an empty track still would have won.

It took me back to evenings after supper, when I'd go and wait for the GTW's thrice-weekly train to arrive in town.  I had very little information to go on, but I'd be down at the junction switch anyway, waiting to hear the horn of the switcher (later a Geep, and maybe one of the RS-1s if I was lucky) bringing the train through Spring Lake.  Then, eventually, the train would round a curve and appear on the other side of the swing bridge across the Grand River.  This was a year-round ritual for me, whenever time and weather would allow (homework was usually not a problem; I usually had it done before I even got home).  The sights, sounds, and smells of the solitary minutes--sometimes hours--I spent in that area won't ever be forgotten.

I guess I've grown a lot more impatient since then--if I'm sitting somewhere and a train doesn't show for 15 minutes or so, I'm gone.  But nowadays the trains just go by (or stop at the station to handle passengers).  Back then, the wait was worth it--I was almost assured of a cab ride, getting my exercise by throwing high-stand switches, and developing my train-riding legs.  And these were nice, friendly guys--not the disagreeable society-misfits some people had led me to believe I'd encounter.  I think my future may have been shaped in large part by these waiting sessions and their aftermath.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 180 posts
Posted by D-Halv on Monday, October 25, 2010 4:24 PM

Carl, you're right. Our futures are shaped by those many hours spent trackside. As a small child I'd wait with my grandfather on a hillside overlooking the Wisconsin Central. We'd have our lawn chairs, a couple Diet Cokes, and conversation until a horn was heard around the bend. I'd go running down the hill and wait trackside, just to wave and see it roll by. Still, to this day, I often find myself sitting out there, just waiting for the sound of a distant horn, the sight of headlights popping up over the horizon. 

That time is priceless. 

• 1,431 posts
Posted by Bergie on Monday, October 25, 2010 4:36 PM

Hey Kent Johnson, who's this "Eric" guy you mention?

Crushed, 
Erik Bergstrom

Smile 

Erik Bergstrom
  • 146 posts
Posted by TOMinTN on Monday, October 25, 2010 5:34 PM

Kathi's take on the theme caught my fancy (and got my vote)...but there were plenty of interesting submissions.  I liked 'em all.

Tom in Nashville

• 52 posts
Posted by Partsman_ba on Monday, October 25, 2010 6:35 PM

henry6

The picture has to tell the story, not the written explanations.  Kathi's is perfect.  Mike, with the conductor standing by, is second.

I agree. Also, her composition of the photograph brought interest to a static scene.

• 24,854 posts
Posted by tree68 on Monday, October 25, 2010 7:55 PM

I liked Drew's shot, as it is something I can readily identify with - something else on the tracks while you're waiting for the train.  In this case, a deer.

I did like Kathi's shot - which could easily be compared to race horses waiting at the gate.

As Henry6 points out - the picture should tell the story. 

LarryWhistling
Resident Microferroequinologist (at least at my house) 
Everyone goes home; Safety begins with you
My Opinion. Standard Disclaimers Apply. No Expiration Date
Come ride the rails with me!
There's one thing about humility - the moment you think you've got it, you've lost it...

• 59 posts
Posted by Choo Choo Aussie on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:00 AM

Hi Guys.  All good photos.  Wasn't sure who to vote for this time.  So I just picked one and the lucky winner was Kent Johnson.  Well done all.

• 56 posts
Posted by KentJJ on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:33 AM

Bergie

Hey Kent Johnson, who's this "Eric" guy you mention?

Crushed, 
Erik Bergstrom

Smile 

Names and identities were changed to protect the innocent -- at least in this case. Oops - Sign

Kent Johnson Classic Toy Trains
  • 6,567 posts
Posted by zardoz on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:49 AM

Another fine batch of photos.  But the one which to me most closely portrayed the theme was Jim's.  There is so much going on in his photo--the train, the people, the signals, the weather.....

I can just image how those people felt on that wet platform while waiting for the train.

• 13,470 posts
Posted by CSSHEGEWISCH on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:09 PM

There's something about suburban trains that appeals to this longtime commuter, which led me to Mike Roque's picture.

The daily commute is part of everyday life but I get two rides a day out of it. Paul
  • 61 posts
Posted by StephenDx on Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:28 AM

I had to laugh once I had voted. I was thinking between Kathi & Drew, but decided it was Kathi's shot that first grabbed my attention when I started viewing the page. 

Then having voted and seen the results, I saw that Kathi was in the lead with Drew the next closest photo.  Smile

StephenDx: Computers and trains are my greatest interestsWhistling GMT +12hrs (+13 in summer)

• 2,043 posts
Posted by cx500 on Saturday, October 30, 2010 8:58 PM

Went with Drew.  I'm sure those of us who actively photograph trains can relate to waiting for hours for that train that should be "getting close" (and have eventually given up 3 minutes too soon).  The great advantage of digital is we don't feel guilty of wasting film when we start to focus on other items to relieve the boredom.  Kathi's is a great shot, but the pronoun in the theme is "YOU" so it doesn't quite qualify.

John

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy