Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Walthers 90 foot TT and DCC.

10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 3,312 posts
Walthers 90 foot TT and DCC.
Posted by locoi1sa on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:08 PM

Hi guys.

Has any one tried to hook up the track terminals of the TT to DCC? I thought if I could add an auto reverser to the track terminals it would work ok. I would leave the TT control wires hooked to the AC terminals of the old power pack.

Pete

I pray every day I break even, Cause I can really use the money!

I started with nothing and still have most of it left!

• 6,845 posts
Posted by jrbernier on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:13 PM

It depends on which Walthers 90' TT you  are talking about.  The 'kit' version may need an auto reverser as designed, but that is the least of it's problems.  Most that I have seen have the actual pit molded out of round, and there is a plastic center bearing that is poor.  I actually used one with an Atlas TT under it to drive it.  That  took care of the polarity reversal.  I also replace the plastic bearing with a metal bearing form the local ACE  Hardware store.  Total cost was:

• $20 - Walthers 90' 'kit' on sale
  • $4 - bearing
  • $35 - Atlas TT & drive unit on sale
  • $4 - 1/2" plywood
  • $5-7 - standoff's/bolts/plumbing 'nipple' for the connection between the Atlas & Walthers unit.

About $70 for all the parts and two evenings to build it.

Then I bought the $300 ready to run 90' TT - simple install, and it works perfect!  I got mine for about $200 through a mail order shop.  Walthers is now advertising a DCC controlled version for even more money.  Mine works fine with DCC right now(I really do not need to control it from my throttle).

Jim

Modeling BNSF  and Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin

• 24,280 posts
Posted by richhotrain on Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:44 AM

locoi1sa

Hi guys.

Has any one tried to hook up the track terminals of the TT to DCC? I thought if I could add an auto reverser to the track terminals it would work ok. I would leave the TT control wires hooked to the AC terminals of the old power pack.

Pete

Pete,

I am not sure why I am even responding after reading Jim Bernier's response.  It says it all. 

So, my only question is which Walther's 90' turntable do you have, the older non-indexed version or the newer non-DCC indexed version? 

As Jim pointed out, the non-DCC indexed version already works fine on a DCC-powered layout and has an auto-reverser already built in.  You probably already know that, so are you trying to convert the TT to DCC so you can operate it from a hand held throttle?

Rich

P.S.  You may recall long ago that you responded to my complaint about steamers constantly derailing, and your only advice was to refine my trackwork or putting it your way, "Fix the humps".  I did so, and I thank you every day. LOL.

Alton Junction

• 23,330 posts
Posted by selector on Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:19 PM

richhotrain

...the non-DCC indexed version already works fine on a DCC-powered layout and has an auto-reverser already built in...

Rich, it may be useful for those looking on to point out that an auto-reverser, as most would use that term in the hobby, implies an electronic monitoring device that will automatically correct polarity faults at a designated place on a layout.  In the case of the indexed TT introduced four years ago, it has a passive ability to correct polarity orientation mismatches that is called a "split rail" design where the wipers cross a gap at about the same time that the bridge traverses through 90 degrees of rotation.

Crandell

• 24,280 posts
Posted by richhotrain on Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:27 PM

selector

richhotrain:

...the non-DCC indexed version already works fine on a DCC-powered layout and has an auto-reverser already built in...

Rich, it may be useful for those looking on to point out that an auto-reverser, as most would use that term in the hobby, implies an electronic monitoring device that will automatically correct polarity faults at a designated place on a layout.  In the case of the indexed TT introduced four years ago, it has a passive ability to correct polarity orientation mismatches that is called a "split rail" design where the wipers cross a gap at about the same time that the bridge traverses through 90 degrees of rotation.

Crandell

Ahhh, Crandell, thanks for pointing out that distinction.  In a separate thread that I authored this morning in which I stated that the TT comes with an auto-reverser, Tom Diehl remarked, "Sounds like you're confusing a DCC type auto reversing circuit with the mechanical reversing mechanism in the turntable."   Apparently that is what he meant as well.

What the installation instructions that come with the TT say is, "Your new turntable automatically reverses track polarity when turned".

Sorry for any confusion that I may have caused.

Rich

Alton Junction

• 3,312 posts
Posted by locoi1sa on Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:16 PM

Thanks guys.

This TT is on a friends layout that he is converting to DCC from DC. It is the indexed version ready to run. He asked me if it would work on DCC. I was not absolutely positive it would. The most I can picture is needing an auto reverse unit to automatically change polarity. He does not want to control it with his throttle. It has the little box with the buttons that indexes it.

I gather from the replies that it works on DCC even without an auto reverser? I feel he may need one due to several lead in tracks and 2 round houses across from each other.

Thank again.

Pete

• 24,280 posts
Posted by richhotrain on Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:18 PM

locoi1sa

Thanks guys.

This TT is on a friends layout that he is converting to DCC from DC. It is the indexed version ready to run. He asked me if it would work on DCC. I was not absolutely positive it would. The most I can picture is needing an auto reverse unit to automatically change polarity. He does not want to control it with his throttle. It has the little box with the buttons that indexes it.

I gather from the replies that it works on DCC even without an auto reverser? I feel he may need one due to several lead in tracks and 2 round houses across from each other.

Thank again.

Pete

Pete,

As you describe it, that 90' turntable with the small control box with the buttons that indexes it will run just fine once your friend converts from DC to DCC.  The turntable reverses polarity automatically without the need for a separate auto-reversing unit.

Rich

Alton Junction

• 3,312 posts
Posted by locoi1sa on Friday, October 22, 2010 4:01 PM

Thanks Rich.

I will let him know. Depending on where he put the dead spot and all the approach tracks. Even if there is a short a simple DCC specialties OG-AR is a simple install.

I tried to reply last night but the site took too long to load. It was like it was back to the old dial up.

Pete

• 24,280 posts
Posted by richhotrain on Friday, October 22, 2010 4:36 PM

locoi1sa

I tried to reply last night but the site took too long to load. It was like it was back to the old dial up.

Pete

Yeah, what was up with that?

Rich

Alton Junction

• 3,312 posts
Posted by locoi1sa on Friday, October 22, 2010 5:33 PM

Rich.

I don't know whats going on with the MR forums lately. I keep getting time outs and very slow loadings. Any other web site I try even Ebay is instant load up. This has just started happening starting yesterday. Is it acting up on your computer also?

Pete

• 24,280 posts
Posted by richhotrain on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:28 AM

Pete,

I just went back and re-read this thread after posting my own thread on the Walthers 130' TT and my need to install an auto-reversing unit in spite of the built-in reversing mechanism on the TT.

What happened on your friend's layout?

Can you update us?

Thanks.

Rich

Alton Junction

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all