Trains.com

Connect Alaska to lower 48?

87 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 2,116 posts
Connect Alaska to lower 48?
Posted by Boyd on Sunday, December 9, 2007 1:12 PM
Has there been much talk about a connection to the lower 48? Isn't there one or two narrow gauge lines in Alaska?

Modeling the "Fargo Area Rapid Transit" in O scale 3 rail.

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Sunday, December 9, 2007 1:26 PM

Boyd wrote:
Has there been much talk about a connection to the lower 48? Isn't there one or two narrow gauge lines in Alaska?

Alaska has two very active railroads: 

Alaska Railroad, 470 route miles, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Railroad

White Pass & Yukon Railway, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Pass_and_Yukon_Route

There are active, state-funded feasibility studies for a rail connection between the Alaska Railroad and the Lower 48.

RWM

• 195 posts
Posted by karldotcom on Sunday, December 9, 2007 1:40 PM
I like that Alaska RR barge in Seattle.

My train videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/karldotcom

• 4,115 posts
Posted by tatans on Sunday, December 9, 2007 1:54 PM
How would Alaska be connected to the rest of the U.S. ? ? Wouldn't it have to go through a country to the north called Canada?   What would be the benefit to Canada? also permission to run a foreign railway across Canada may not be permitted eh?  Or maybe, just maybe, Canada may be plotting to run a railway corridor from Canada to Mexico down the middle of the U.S. I wonder if that would be permitted by the U.S. government. What products shipped from Alaska to the motherland would constitute such an enormous and expensive cost/ (fisheads?) there is already a pipeline to Valdez, I hope they aren't going to start shipping oil by trains again are they? and what will the lower 48 ship to Alaska by train? coal? new cars? fur coats? All exciting questions eh???
  • 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Sunday, December 9, 2007 2:01 PM

....Guessing the line from Alaska would be connected to existing lines in Canada and the appropriate line{s}, down in the USA. Of course some additional lines {new}, may have to be integrated into the system.

Products to haul would most likely be similar to general merchandise hauled here in the 48.

I suppose it would be a combined project between Canada and the USA.

Quentin

• 2,116 posts
Posted by Boyd on Sunday, December 9, 2007 2:10 PM
Well then how big is the gap between the nearest Canada line and the closest one in Alaska? Really do you think Canada would resist that idea very much. They rely on our money and military protection. We have missile tracking systems up there. I think maybe the permafrost would be more difficult to deal with than the Canadian government.

Modeling the "Fargo Area Rapid Transit" in O scale 3 rail.

• 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Sunday, December 9, 2007 2:26 PM

....Distance....I don't know, but I'd bet someone on here can come up with a close figure.  How about it Dale....

Quentin

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Sunday, December 9, 2007 3:29 PM

tatans wrote:
How would Alaska be connected to the rest of the U.S. ? ? Wouldn't it have to go through a country to the north called Canada?   What would be the benefit to Canada? also permission to run a foreign railway across Canada may not be permitted eh?  Or maybe, just maybe, Canada may be plotting to run a railway corridor from Canada to Mexico down the middle of the U.S. I wonder if that would be permitted by the U.S. government. What products shipped from Alaska to the motherland would constitute such an enormous and expensive cost/ (fisheads?) there is already a pipeline to Valdez, I hope they aren't going to start shipping oil by trains again are they? and what will the lower 48 ship to Alaska by train? coal? new cars? fur coats? All exciting questions eh???

There are several viable routes all of which, as you point, out, traverse Yukon Territory and British Columbia.  The Alaska endpoint is Delta Junction, near Fairbanks; the connection with the continental rail system is considering points such as Fort Nelson, Hazelton, Minaret, and Mackenzie, B.C., which are all CN system. An all-U.S. route is not viable as Alaska is disconnected; besides, a coastal route that followed the Alaska Panhandle is utterly infeasible unless virtually the entire length was in tunnel, much of it suboceanic. 

Canada and the U.S. are very much partners in this and many other endeavors and commercially, politically, and socially they are as closely linked as two nations have ever been.  Differences exist but for practical purposes they are far smaller than the alarmists, nativists, and ideologues would have us believe.

Traffic sources considered in the feasibility studies are centered on mineral resources in inland Alaska and Canada.  Shipping crude oil by rail from Alaska to the continental U.S. is not one of them, however; as ocean transportation is vastly less expensive.  Besides, Prudhoe Bay's oil output is rapidly declining and potential new sources are not expected to come close to replenishing its output at its peak.  Another large potential traffic source is pipe and construction materials to construct a large-diameter natural gas pipeline from Alaska and northwestern Canadian fields to the continental U.S., a $21 billion or so endeavor.

Any economic development of this sort would be an immense cash infusion into Alaska and northwestern Canada, whether that is a "benefit" I suppose depends on who you are and what you want Canada or the U.S. to be.

Total new mileage is between 1,300 and 1,600 depending on route selection and development scenario chosen.  It's meaningless to be more specific than that at this point as final route selection will vary idepending upon many factors such as environmental considerations, traffic projections, geologic considerations, economic considerations, funding plans, and final engineering decisions.

This link takes to you the feasibility report.

http://alaskacanadarail.com/

RWM

• 4,117 posts
Posted by nanaimo73 on Sunday, December 9, 2007 3:46 PM
 Modelcar wrote:

....Distance....I don't know, but I'd bet someone on here can come up with a close figure.  How about it Dale....

Hi Quentin,

It would be over 1,000 miles from CN (ex BCR) in Fort Nelson, BC, to the end of Alaska Railroad. State and Federal funding would likely cover the 200 to 300 mile US portion if the Canadian portion was built. I believe a large majority of the people along the Canadian section would be in favor of the connection. I really can't see anyone in this Country, or in yours, that would be willing to cover the cost of the Canadian section. $5 billion ? It will only be built if American taxpayers pay for it, therefore, it is not going to happen.

Dale
  • 2,843 posts
Posted by al-in-chgo on Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:20 PM
 nanaimo73 wrote:
 Modelcar wrote:

Hi Quentin,

It would be over 1,000 miles from CN (ex BCR) in Fort Nelson, BC, to the end of Alaska Railroad. State and Federal funding would likely cover the 200 to 300 mile US portion if the Canadian portion was built. I believe a large majority of the people along the Canadian section would be in favor of the connection. I really can't see anyone in this Country, or in yours, that would be willing to cover the cost of the Canadian section. $5 billion ? It will only be built if American taxpayers pay for it, therefore, it is not going to happen.

You're probably right, Dale, about the lack of funding of $5 billion for the project.  It's a shame, really, especially since four times that amount was spent on the Osprey helicopter, and it still doesn't work right. -  al

al-in-chgo
  • 509 posts
Posted by cprted on Sunday, December 9, 2007 7:48 PM
Back in the 80s, BCR planned to build an extension to Dease Lake, BC. The RoR was purchased and graded, but forestry tanked so the project was canned. The graded roadbed still exists and is still owned by RR. At the time, I believe the line was billed as an way to connect Alaska by rail in the future.
The grey box represents what the world would look like without the arts. Don't Torch The Arts--Culture Matters http://www.allianceforarts.com/
  • 13,681 posts
Posted by CShaveRR on Sunday, December 9, 2007 7:57 PM

tatans wrote:
What products shipped from Alaska to the motherland would constitute such an enormous and expensive cost/ (fisheads?) there is already a pipeline to Valdez, I hope they aren't going to start shipping oil by trains again are they? and what will the lower 48 ship to Alaska by train? coal? new cars? fur coats? All exciting questions eh???

With the possible exception of the fish-heads (or any other part of their anatomy), I presume that most of the commodities you mentioned would be prospective candidates.  Fur coats would probably go in intermodal vehicles of some sort.

But why not oil?  The pipline from Fairbanks (or thereabouts)  to Valdez probably costs almost as much to maintain as the northernmore half, and a rail pipeline (unit trains) probably wouldn't cause nearly the potential environmental problems (haven't we been reading about pipeline leaks that are causing oil proices to go up?).  Who knows?  Perhaps the availability of rail transportation might make refining operations feasible somewhere along the line.

Carl

Railroader Emeritus (practiced railroading for 46 years--and in 2010 I finally got it right!)

CAACSCOCOM--I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all. (SM)

• 4,821 posts
Posted by jeaton on Sunday, December 9, 2007 8:09 PM

Here is one for all of you.  There was a preliminary study made by a consulting firm, I believe A.T. Kearney to haul the Prodhue Bay oil via rail.  Really!  Bare with me, because it was around 40 years ago, but I think the idea was to barge the oil over to and up the Mackenzie River to a barge to rail transfer terminal on the south shore of Great Slave Lake.  Somehow the minor matter of a five month navigation season for the coastal/river move was dealt with (Very Large storage tanks?) and a proposal was made for facilities to rapidly load a train of 20,000 gallon tank cars.  And, as I recall, there was also a suggestion for the general routing of the rail line.  I don't recall the proposed routing beyond the new rail line.

Would it be a surprise to learn that nobody showed very much enthusiam for the plan?

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo Possum "We have met the anemone... and he is Russ." Bucky Katt "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr, Nobel laureate in physics

• 13,569 posts
Posted by Murphy Siding on Sunday, December 9, 2007 8:27 PM
     I'd have to believe, that oil moves a lot faster and cheaper in a pipeline, than on a railroad.  How many gazillion gallons have shipped down the Alaska pipeline?  Currently, there is a proposal to run an oil pipeline from Canada to Oklahoma.  I haven't heard any mention of any rail alternative there, even though there are probably rail lines from Canada to Oklahoma already in place.

Thanks to Chris / CopCarSS for my avatar.

• 4,821 posts
Posted by jeaton on Sunday, December 9, 2007 9:47 PM

Murphy Siding wrote:
     I'd have to believe, that oil moves a lot faster and cheaper in a pipeline, than on a railroad.  How many gazillion gallons have shipped down the Alaska pipeline?  Currently, there is a proposal to run an oil pipeline from Canada to Oklahoma.  I haven't heard any mention of any rail alternative there, even though there are probably rail lines from Canada to Oklahoma already in place.

Unfortunately, I don't remember numbers but I seem to recall that there appeared to be some merit from the cost standpoint.  As I am sure you know, the Alaskan Oil Pipeline is far from the run-of-the-mill crude pipeline.  One thing I remember about the proposal was that it would take years longer to build than the pipeline.  It was suggested that a delay in bringing the oil to the market might not be so bad, as at the time imported oil would be cheaper to the refineries than the Alaskan Oil.  Anyway, oil people think pipes for transportation and it probably would have required a huge cost advantage to change the mindset.

Even with the benefit of hindsight, I doubt that the barge/rail proposal would be found to be a major lost oppurtunity.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo Possum "We have met the anemone... and he is Russ." Bucky Katt "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr, Nobel laureate in physics

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Sunday, December 9, 2007 9:50 PM

Murphy Siding wrote:

Speed isn't important; the opportunity cost of the transit time for the oil is not large.

Cost is important.  Operating costs are about 1.5 cents per ton-mile for a new, large-diameter pipeline vs. 2.5 cents per ton-mile for a new, heavy-haul railway.  You would only consider rail haulage if it was very short term and the rail line already existed.

RWM

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Sunday, December 9, 2007 10:01 PM

cprted wrote:
Back in the 80s, BCR planned to build an extension to Dease Lake, BC. The RoR was purchased and graded, but forestry tanked so the project was canned. The graded roadbed still exists and is still owned by RR. At the time, I believe the line was billed as an way to connect Alaska by rail in the future.

Track was laid on about 1/3 of the Dease Lake Extension and the remainder was partially constructed and some bridges built.  The project had two goals, (1) to open northern B.C. to development (principally mineral) and (2) serve as an eventual connection to Alaska. 

Lumber prices didn't stop the Dease Lake Extension; what stopped it was the province ran out of enthusiasm for paying for immensely expensive public works projects. Lumber at that very long distance from consumers is not profitable to produce except when market cycles are at their peak.  The forests at that latitude do not produce high-quality trees or large-diameter trees.

RWM

• 4,821 posts
Posted by jeaton on Sunday, December 9, 2007 10:04 PM
 Railway Man wrote:

Murphy Siding wrote:

Speed isn't important; the opportunity cost of the transit time for the oil is not large.

Cost is important.  Operating costs are about 1.5 cents per ton-mile for a new, large-diameter pipeline vs. 2.5 cents per ton-mile for a new, heavy-haul railway.  You would only consider rail haulage if it was very short term and the rail line already existed.

RWM

I can accept that operating cost differential, and I would be willing to wager that the capital cost of the new pipeline could be less that of a new heavy-haul railroad.  At least that would be the case if the pipeline didn't have to go over several mountain ranges and be built in a way to keep perma frost from melting.

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Sunday, December 9, 2007 10:27 PM
 jeaton wrote:
 Railway Man wrote:

Murphy Siding wrote:

RWM

I can accept that operating cost differential, and I would be willing to wager that the capital cost of the new pipeline could be less that of a new heavy-haul railroad.  At least that would be the case if the pipeline didn't have to go over several mountain ranges and be built in a way to keep perma frost from melting.

Permafrost isn't much of an issue on this route; it's too far south.  Permafrost is a north-of-Fairbanks issue.  Where it's encountered locally the practice is to excavate and backfill.

The estimates are $8 million/mile for new rail construction on this route.  The estimate for the Prudhoe Bay-U.S. gas pipeline varies from $12-$24 million/mile but that includes the very expensive construction north of Fairbanks.  Mile for mile in equivalent terrain the cost is probably around $12 million/mile for the pipeline.

Bids were received for the gas pipeline concession last week.  This could prove very interesting.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/5343623.html

RWM

• 4,821 posts
Posted by jeaton on Sunday, December 9, 2007 10:57 PM
 Railway Man wrote:
 jeaton wrote:
 Railway Man wrote:

Murphy Siding wrote:

RWM

Permafrost isn't much of an issue on this route; it's too far south.  Permafrost is a north-of-Fairbanks issue.  Where it's encountered locally the practice is to excavate and backfill.

The estimates are $8 million/mile for new rail construction on this route.  The estimate for the Prudhoe Bay-U.S. gas pipeline varies from $12-$24 million/mile but that includes the very expensive construction north of Fairbanks.  Mile for mile in equivalent terrain the cost is probably around $12 million/mile for the pipeline.

Bids were received for the gas pipeline concession last week.  This could prove very interesting.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/5343623.html

RWM

That does it.  I am going to beat the rush and convert from NG to wood for home heating next week.

• 2,303 posts
Posted by Andrew Falconer on Sunday, December 9, 2007 11:37 PM

If it could have been built, the Railroad Companies would have started on the project in 1955 and would have finished by 1985.

Andrew

Andrew

Watch my videos on-line at https://www.youtube.com/user/AndrewNeilFalconer

• 769 posts
Posted by Kevin C. Smith on Monday, December 10, 2007 1:22 AM
 Railway Man wrote:

Traffic sources considered in the feasibility studies are centered on mineral resources in inland Alaska and Canada.  Shipping crude oil by rail from Alaska to the continental U.S. is not one of them, however; as ocean transportation is vastly less expensive. 

Ah, a pity. I do remember (but don't easy access to right now) a column or two by Trains Professional Iconoclast (always loved that name) proposing just such a connection as an alternative to constructing the Alaska Pipeline. His "integral train" proposal would supposedly be cost comptitive (vs. the cost of all new pipeline and terminals) and would have the option of routing crude oil so shipped to refineries in any part of the US, not just the west coast.

Another interesting "mighta been".

"Look at those high cars roll-finest sight in the world."
  • 195 posts
Posted by karldotcom on Monday, December 10, 2007 1:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEKxpvgxCT4

"If you don't finish you're schooling....you might end up in Iraq" - John Kerry

>>>It's a shame, really, especially since four times that amount was spent on the Osprey helicopter, and it still doesn't work right. -  al

My train videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/karldotcom

• 13,456 posts
Posted by Modelcar on Monday, December 10, 2007 8:40 AM

....Not only could a connection to the lower 48 haul crude oil but how about all the other products as well.  Haul both ways.

Quentin

• 4,917 posts
Posted by CNW 6000 on Monday, December 10, 2007 8:49 AM

tatans wrote:
Or maybe, just maybe, Canada may be plotting to run a railway corridor from Canada to Mexico down the middle of the U.S. I wonder if that would be permitted by the U.S. government.

According to this map CN (I'm pretty sure you've heard of them) already does have trackage going to the Gulf of Mexico.  They also appear to have shortline connections through Mexico and (I'm assuming) intermodal or bulk service (via ship) to the Yucatan (sp) peninsula.

So this Canadian Railroad already operates (at least indirectly perhaps) in 3 countries.

Dan

• 2,434 posts
Posted by gabe on Monday, December 10, 2007 10:14 AM

tatans wrote:
Wouldn't it have to go through a country to the north called Canada?

Not at all; the current plan is to build a bridge.

Gabe

P.S.  They put me here because they think I am slow, eh?

• 2,289 posts
Posted by carnej1 on Monday, December 10, 2007 11:40 AM
 One of the interesting consequences if the rail link is ever constructed is that there would be serious economic pressure to rebuild the White Pass & Yukon to standard gauge. I have read a study online (done by the Uinversity of Alaska IIRC) which calculated the costs including retrucking the passenger stock and replacing the motive power. While many Railfans would scream bloody murder the authors of the study point out that most of the Tourists who ride the line would not be bothered by the change.

"I Often Dream of Trains"-From the Album of the Same Name by Robyn Hitchcock

• 2,989 posts
Posted by Railway Man on Monday, December 10, 2007 11:50 AM

It would be easy enough to leave it as three-rail and temporally separate freight and passenger.  Given the heavy passenger train volume during daytime, the lack of space at Skagway, and that the freight business could not amount to greater than 2-4 trains a day, temporal separation might be the chosen solution anyway.

RWM

• 1,429 posts
Posted by SALfan on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:46 PM

tatans wrote:
  Or maybe, just maybe, Canada may be plotting to run a railway corridor from Canada to Mexico down the middle of the U.S. I wonder if that would be permitted by the U.S. government. 

Think they already did - ever hear of a little pike called CN?  The Canadians have made other forays into the U.S., aka Canadian Pacific.

• 105 posts
Posted by JulesB on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:19 PM

The oil prduction at Prudhoe bay is not declining!

The well heads came in at 1700 lbs. sq,in Artisian, and still maintain that pressure. The first full day of oil tranport thru the pipeline was 1.7 million barrals. It now stands at 1.2 million barrals a day. The oil pundits claimed Prudoe Bay's fields would last 20 years, it's now 32 years. As noted it's still maintains it's Artesian pressure, it's the pipe thats wearing out! If you look closley you will see that the pipe saddles (that support the pipe above the perma frost) are wide enough to accomodate 2 lines.

Gull Island, is a few miles off of Prudoe Bay oil fields. It's a bigger find than Prodoe Bay! I worked on the pipeline and made some friends with some execs rather high up in the food chain. They unbeknownst to one another have told me Gull Island will start production when oils hits $150.00 a barrel. The Gull find became classified as a hedge against a dictatorship-s holding the US hostage.

Russia found oil at 40,000 feet. Ain't no Dinasours down there. Oil is Ambiotic it turns out, not fossill.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy