Trains.com

Santa Fe Train Wreck in Azusa, California-Part II

2 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 340 posts
Santa Fe Train Wreck in Azusa, California-Part II
Posted by 081552 on Saturday, March 24, 2007 5:35 PM

Several weeks ago I posted a question about a Santa Fe train wreck in Azusa, CA dating from the twenties. Shown below is the photo from the wreck. I didn't post it correctly the first time.

Thanks to Jim Walker, Los Angeles MTA Historian I was able to date the photograph. The wreck occurred on March 23, 1922 when the Phoenix Flyer slammed into a steam roller that stalled on the tracks. Both the engineer and fireman died in the wreck.

If you think the media is awful now, not much has changed since 1922;

"When Mrs. Hughes was advised by a Times reporter of her husband's death, she had just telephoned the Santa Fe roundhouse to ask why her husband was late. Upon the news she screamed and fell to the floor in a faint."

An interesting side note is that the engineer's son in-law was actor Warner Baxter. Old movie fans may recognize him from In Old Arizona, for which he won the second Best Actor Academy Award.

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:26 AM

Ouch! Shock [:O] That had to hurt! Did any passengers die in the wreck?

• 340 posts
Posted by 081552 on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:50 PM
No passengers died but many were injured. Does anyone know what happened to locomotive 1274?

SUBSCRIBER & MEMBER LOGIN

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

FREE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

Get the Classic Trains twice-monthly newsletter