Trains.com

Heavy Duty Rail Shipments from Duluth, MN to Canada

15 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 53 posts
Heavy Duty Rail Shipments from Duluth, MN to Canada
Posted by redflasher1 on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:09 AM
Here's a link to some great pictures of cargo which arrived in Duluth MN via ship and is destined to ship to Canada via rail.

Scroll down the pictures and about half way down are the rail pictures.

http://www.lswci.com/fairlane2005.html
  • 11,426 posts
Posted by dknelson on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:18 AM
"Great pictures" is too modest a term. These are incredible. I have seen that Schnabel car come through Milwaukee and it has to be seen to be believed.
A good reminder that the twin ports of Duluth Superior make for great railfanning
Dave Nelson
  • 2,011 posts
Posted by edbenton on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:22 AM
one of those pieces has to weigh over 200 tones if the Schnabel car is needed. That car is only brought in for the really BIG loads since it costs so much to rent.
Always at war with those that think OTR trucking is EASY.
  • 53 posts
Posted by redflasher1 on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:44 AM
QUOTE: Originally posted by dknelson

"Great pictures" is too modest a term. These are incredible. I have seen that Schnabel car come through Milwaukee and it has to be seen to be believed.
A good reminder that the twin ports of Duluth Superior make for great railfanning
Dave Nelson

Also, a train museum in the old train station. Nicely done up in the basement area of the building.

We go to Duluth monthly from Minneapolis and between the railroad, ships arriving and departing(in season), and Lake Superior itself, a great place to visit. Railcars bringing taconite to the ore docks in 'Duluth and Two Harbors.

Friends of the 261(former Milwaukee Road Steam Engine) ran an overnight excursion to Duluth earlier this summer that was a fantastic trip.
  • 4,941 posts
Posted by spbed on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 9:06 AM
Terrific pix thanks [:o)]

Originally posted by redflasher
[

Living nearby to MP 186 of the UPRR  Austin TX Sub

• 437 posts
Posted by mloik on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:41 AM
Amazing. Must have been blistering cold, too.
  • 4,015 posts
Posted by coborn35 on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 3:24 PM
Blisterig cold, nnaah, we're minnesnowtons, cold is nothing!

Mechanical Department  "No no that's fine shove that 20 pound set all around the yard... those shoes aren't hell and a half to change..."

The Missabe Road: Safety First

• 7,158 posts
Posted by samfp1943 on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 4:01 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by edbenton

one of those pieces has to weigh over 200 tones if the Schnabel car is needed. That car is only brought in for the really BIG loads since it costs so much to rent.

Those pictures are remarkable. There was a recent view of a loaded Schnabel car on the BNSF with a large load in Trains Mag. These pohos with men standing around add a scale to the size of that Schnable care that is almost hard to conceive. It realy make you stop and marvel at the engineering that must happen to move loads of that size.

• 9,265 posts
Posted by edblysard on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 4:10 PM
Here is a link to photos of the last time I got to work with one of those things...

http://leonard.tamu.edu/Trains/NewBNSF/PTRA.htm

Amazing thing is it’s articulated, and the ends can moves side to side several feet off center, to walk it around line side obstructions.
Ed

23 17 46 11

• 437 posts
Posted by mloik on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:27 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by edblysard

Here is a link to photos of the last time I got to work with one of those things...

Amazing thing is it’s articulated, and the ends can moves side to side several feet off center, to walk it around line side obstructions.
Ed

Hey Ed,

Pretty cool. I noticed a caboose on the end in the last photo. Did this travel the whole way to CO? If so, was it used for the old fashioned purpose?

Many thanks in advance,
Michael
  • 4,015 posts
Posted by coborn35 on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:29 PM
I personally didnt see it but I imagine it originated in the CP's small branch yard off of the BNSF, so it must have been a very complicated move considering the size of the yard.

Mechanical Department  "No no that's fine shove that 20 pound set all around the yard... those shoes aren't hell and a half to change..."

• 9,265 posts
Posted by edblysard on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:30 PM
Yup, its a real caboose...but it does double duty as a bunk house also, the crew has to stay with the car the entire trip, so the caboose has a full kitchen, and three drop down bunks.
There is a little Jeep Liberity that is used for a utility car, it travels on a flat car ahead of the caboose.

They had two of the cabooses on this move, one in front and one on the rear, so they could keep thier eyes on the reactor from both ends.

Ed
QUOTE: Originally posted by mloik

QUOTE: Originally posted by edblysard

Ed

Hey Ed,

Pretty cool. I noticed a caboose on the end in the last photo. Did this travel the whole way to CO? If so, was it used for the old fashioned purpose?

Many thanks in advance,
Michael

23 17 46 11

• 3,857 posts
Posted by beaulieu on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 9:16 PM
The big piece this time will weigh 805 tons. Although the train is being loaded now it won't leave until the ground freezes.
  • 4,015 posts
Posted by coborn35 on Friday, November 25, 2005 10:37 AM
I finally got to go see it and as my suspicions were correct, if is going to be VERY hard to manuver the car through the yard. It almost a 90 degree angle off the dock.

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, November 25, 2005 12:20 PM
I read in todays Star Tribune that the Schnabel car costs $1.2 million to rent for 25 days[:0]. Also, I think DMIR's last caboose is one of the bunk cars, along with a BC Rail caboose. BTW, I heard that the train with the other heavy equipment, about 61 total cars, is to leave around December 1, with the Schnabel running seperate.
  • 4,015 posts
Posted by coborn35 on Friday, November 25, 2005 12:28 PM
Thats correct, the other parts have been loaded onto intermodel cars and are sitting on a yard extension.

Join our Community!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

Search the Community

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy