Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Foam with Hot Glue Gun

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 137 posts
Foam with Hot Glue Gun
Posted by engineAL on Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:18 PM

I am trying to secure some Woodland Scenics foam to my layout. I have a low temp hot glue gun, but it isn't from Woodland Scenics. Would it be fine for me to use that instead of buying a new hot glue gun?

Modeling the Maine Central in N scale.

• 10,582 posts
Posted by mlehman on Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:28 PM

I'd give it a try. The worst that can happen is that you'll melt right through that first piece, right?

Surprise

Seriously, I suspect that WS low temp is probably the same as generic low temp, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Mike Lehman

Urbana, IL

• 569 posts
Posted by ratled on Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:57 PM

I use mine all the time for that.  I'll use white glue as the main holding medium and use the hot glue to tack everything down.  The problem with traditional glues is there is so little air movement that it takes forever to dry. By using any low temp hot glue it will hold it in place until the regular glue dries. 

I use regular glue as the main glue instead of all hot glue as gluing sheets and sheets of foam down and in place would be too expensive

ratled

Modeling the Klamath River area in HO on a proto-lanced sub of the SP “The State of Jefferson Line”

• 3,272 posts
Posted by CTValleyRR on Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:19 PM

It should work just fine.  I have a Craftsman glue gun, which is not particularly low temp -- just apply it from a little further away and give it a chance to cool a bit before it hits the foam.

If you're using regular glues, apply them in an "S" pattern so that no part of your glue bead is fully enclosed by another -- otherwise that inside bead of glue will never cure.

Connecticut Valley Railroad A Branch of the New York, New Haven, and Hartford

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." -- Henry Ford

• 200 posts
Posted by jwar41 on Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:05 PM

After you get done, if there aqre those thread like streams of glue, use a hair dryer on hot, just enought to make them the threads disapear. Wont hurt the foam at all

• 4,261 posts
Posted by Medina1128 on Friday, February 3, 2012 10:17 AM

For large pieces of foam, I think you would find it more cost effective to  use acrylic latex caulk. It holds the foam securely, and doesn't attack/melt the foam. It DOES take longer to set up ( I usually wait 24 hours before proceeding).

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all