Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Mrc Computer Interface

10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 5 posts
Mrc Computer Interface
Posted by WP FAN on Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:20 AM
Has anyone used,or are you using MRC's computer interface? What is your opinion of the program? Have you had any problems? I'm using a Prodigy Advanced 2 system and am considering the computer interface.
  • 1,063 posts
Posted by jalajoie on Sunday, March 13, 2011 8:13 AM

I downloaded it for testing, found it too simplistic when compare to JMRI, set it aside and never touched it again. JMRI is superior hands down.

Jack W.

• 252 posts
Posted by CNR378 on Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:24 AM

jalajoie

I downloaded it for testing, found it too simplistic when compare to JMRI, set it aside and never touched it again. JMRI is superior hands down.

JMRI doesn't not work with MRC. The OP asked about the MRC interface to use with his MRC system.

Peter

• 1,063 posts
Posted by jalajoie on Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:29 AM

I am well aware of that, the OP ask about an opinion I gave mine. I almost fell to MRC over enthusiastic advertising and was looking seriously at a Prodigy system, this is why I took a look at MRC computer interface.

As an alternative the OP can always use JMRI/Digitrax PR3 combo.

Jack W.

• 30,002 posts
Posted by rrinker on Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:16 PM

The MRC software works standalone - in fact MRC came around and encouraged everyone to download it and compare for themselves, so I did. And like Jack - no comparison. It is severely lacking in programmign capabilities and does not have the library of decoder definitions that JMRI does. It seems like unles you use only MRC decoders, you end up having to use the CV Blaster part to program all those CVs they don;t have nice descriptions for. And it seems the only train runnign capabilities are to open up on-screen throttles.

By contrast, JMRI has definitions for pretty much every decoder there is - if someoen comes out with a new one, the definitions get added quickly. This gives a plain English definition and options choice for all CVs in those decoders. Perfect? Not always, sometimes the decoders change and someon needs to alter th definition file but generally the developers are on top of these things, plus it doesn;t take the skills of a programmer to make the definition files - many who may not be capable of actually coding the JMRI program itself are out there making decoder definitions.

Plus JMRI is not limited to programming decoders and running trains with an on-screen throttle. There are scripts to automate train movement, and you can create control panels to operate signals and accessory decoders. There is also the interface to the throttles through iPod/iPhone/Android devices as well.

JMRI is also open source Both JMRI and the MRC program are free, but with JMRI you have access to the source code if you are so inclined to alter or add to it.

And if free and open source is not your thing, there are several commercial programs that, unfortunately, cannot be used with MRC because of their (MRC's) closed nature.

Does the MRC computer interface work? Absolutely. Does their software work? Sure. But compare to JMRI or commercial applications like RR&Co? Not even close.

--Randy

Modeling the Reading Railroad in the 1950's

Visit my web site at www.readingeastpenn.com for construction updates, DCC Info, and more.

• 333 posts
Posted by Truck on Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:41 PM

I have the Prod. Adv. Sq. 2  also. I use the computer interface. It works just fine for me.  It gives you two more throttels on the screen, you can store locos in a roster file with the CV's you have programed them to. It will program any decoder on the market, not just MRC decoders. I have done it  with Soundtraxx, QSI, Digitrax, and others. You can program and run consists, control turn out decoders, set routes, I am not sure what I am missing by not beeing able to use Decoder Pro or JMRI, but I realy dont care. My MRC set up works just fine for my needs. And I am very happy with it.         Enjoy ,Truck.

• 5 posts
Posted by WP FAN on Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:41 PM

Thanks For your replies. I knew MRC was not compatible with JMRI or Decoder Pro, that is why I was asking about MRC's interface. Our club layout is DC, but we have 4 members, including myself, that have DCC home layouts. We each have different DCC systems, so I have used Digitrax, NCE,and Easy DCC along with JMRI and Decoder Pro. Every system has it's good  and bad, I'm pleased with the Prodigy , I'm just looking to simplify decoder programming. Truck, does the CV Read Back work with any consistency? Have you found any bugs with the program?

Thanks Again,WP 

• 5 posts
Posted by WP FAN on Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:59 PM

Thanks For your replies. I knew MRC was not compatible with JMRI or Decoder Pro, that is why I was asking about MRC's interface. Our club layout is DC, but we have 4 members, including myself, that have DCC home layouts. We each have different DCC systems, so I have used Digitrax, NCE,and Easy DCC along with JMRI and Decoder Pro. Every system has it's good  and bad, I'm pleased with the Prodigy , I'm just looking to simplify decoder programming. Truck, does the CV Read Back work with any consistency? Have you found any bugs with the program?

Thanks Again,WP 

• 5 posts
Posted by WP FAN on Sunday, March 13, 2011 11:09 PM

Sorry Guys, Don't know how I posted this twice.Embarrassed

• 333 posts
Posted by Truck on Monday, March 14, 2011 9:37 PM

I have had no issues with the program. There are different ways to read and write CV,s. There is EASY PROGRAM, CV BLASTER, and a way to set all your speed table CV,s at once or read them in the CV BLASTER window.  All of the different ways let you choose what you want to do. I have a Soundtraxx PTB100 program track booster and I have no problems reading back CV,s with the interface on high end sound decoders such as Soundtraxx and QSI. Like I said before for me the program is just fine.

Truck. 

• 5 posts
Posted by WP FAN on Monday, March 14, 2011 9:43 PM

Thanks Truck. I think I'll get the interface and try it for myself.

WP

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all