Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

SDL39 Questions

8 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 1,773 posts
SDL39 Questions
Posted by ChadLRyan on Friday, February 25, 2011 7:21 AM

Hey,

I'm considering taking on an SDL39 project. Right now I'm thinking of feeding a Proto GP39 chassis to the milling machine to make room for 3 axle trucks & ultimately, remove 4 scale feet from its chassis. One hangup I have is that I would like to add in a pair of existing compact 3 axle trucks, rather than making an entire drive mechanism from scratch. Do any of you have suggestions of manufactured 3 axle trucks that would be compact enough for such a project? As for the body shell, I'm hoping the GP39 shell will offer enough usability to allow me to add a scratchbuilt engine bay cover section with Cannon doors. Any thoughts & suggestions are very welcomed, & appreciated!!!  Thanks!
Picture;  MILW SDL39 #582:   http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1609265

Chad L Ryan
  • 7,475 posts
Posted by ndbprr on Friday, February 25, 2011 7:38 AM

You may have a problem finding the correct trucks.  I think that may be the only engine that uses them.  It may be easier to approximate the length using full size trucks and extending the frame a little to comensate.  Only other choice I can think of would be to take sections from the truck sideframes and maybe mount them on GP trucks since most people won't look close enough to see the wheels any way.

• 1,773 posts
Posted by ChadLRyan on Friday, February 25, 2011 8:25 AM

Thanks NDBPRR,

I have not considered that, although the 2 axle trucks are pretty 'roomy' when you get to looking at them. I was also considering U30 & ML series trucks, but I do not have any on hand to compare dimentions.  A static model would be easy to make, but I would lke it powered, as that would really make it nice.

Also, I may have mis-stated things, the Proto is a non turbo GP38, the Atlas is a GP39. Both are "in the Mail" so I can't see which one will be the preferred doner unit at this time. But they are both viable candidates, in my mind.

Although, they both hinge on the truck issue, once that is accommodated, the rest should fall into place fairly well.    Just my thoughts..

Thanks for the suggestion, who knows?

Chad L Ryan
  • 132 posts
Posted by The Ferroequinologist on Friday, February 25, 2011 8:27 AM

Chad: Your a day late and a dollar short. I just sold a SDL39, without motor ,on ebay a few days ago. I wish I had known about you. It will just sit on a collectors shelf.

The Ferroequinologist layoutconcepts@yahoo.com eBay store: Backshop Train & China Store Facebook: Model Trains, Train Sets, Buildings & Layout Concepts

• 6,845 posts
Posted by jrbernier on Friday, February 25, 2011 8:55 AM

The SDL39 is actually shorter than a GP35!  And you do not want to use G(38-2 parts as the cab will be wrong.  Basic GP35 parts would be the best to start with for the cab, and maybe you can use the 12 cyl engine/turbo hood.  The trucks are the real issue as they are a custom 'one-off' of EMD's export truck.

I bought the one of the brass ones from the first run many years ago.   I remember working for the railroad when MILW took delivery of the first 5 units - they were on a 'H&D' Extra West headed out to ND for their first assignment.  The SDL39's and the RSC2m's were some of the Milwaukee's unique branch line power in the 70's!

Jim

Modeling BNSF  and Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin

• 1,773 posts
Posted by ChadLRyan on Friday, February 25, 2011 3:44 PM

Thanks Guys!  Jim thanks for the note on the cab, I would have missed that. I think I may have a couple 35 series Cannon cabs in stock. I originally chose the the GP38 & 39 series for the radiator section of the shell. Yes, the modifying &/or scratchbuilding the truck sideframes may be the most interesting (& the biggest holdup) of the project. When I saw the writeup & pix of it in the Diesel Spotters book, I immediately liked it, & thought it would make a nice project.

Chad L Ryan
  • 1,559 posts
Posted by WSOR 3801 on Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:43 PM

Try to find this issue of MR.  Article on how to build one, using mostly Athearn parts, including fabricating the trucks.  Should help point you in the right direction.  Kaslo used to make a resin kit and drive for these, and brass is also an option. 

Mike WSOR engineer | HO scale since 1988 | Visit our club www.WCGandyDancers.com

• 1,773 posts
Posted by ChadLRyan on Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:16 PM

Thanks Mike! I will see if I have that issue. Thanks for the tips!

Chad L Ryan
  • 11,431 posts
Posted by dknelson on Sunday, February 27, 2011 5:35 PM

The October 1973 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman had a kitbash article too.  I know I have the issue but it is not in chronological order in my collection so I may have lent it to someone and never got it back. 

I have seen the trucks for sale at swap meets -- possibly overstock from a brass importer? 

This earlier thread on the conversion mentioned that the trucks were common in exports to Australia and may be available from Australian model railroad firms:

http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/p/92647/1088517.aspx

Dave Nelson

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all