Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

WPF 26 -29 November 2010 Locked

69 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • From: 4610 Metre's North of the Fortyninth on the left coast of Canada
  • 9,352 posts
WPF 26 -29 November 2010
Posted by BATMAN on Friday, November 26, 2010 10:48 AM

Okay looks like I'll have to start it myself. I can't wait for those great pics to show up any longer.

Here a C&O 2-10-4 admires some newly created rock work and thinking, this is much better than looking at spline and bare walls.Smile

Brent

Brent

"All of the world's problems are the result of the difference between how we think and how the world works."

• 1,769 posts
Posted by tomkat-13 on Friday, November 26, 2010 11:15 AM

Men at work at Hawk Point Elevator Co. & Lincoln County Co-op.

I model MKT & CB&Q in Missouri. A MUST SEE LINK: Great photographs from glassplate negatives of St Louis 1914-1917!!!! http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/stlouis/kempland/glassplate.htm Boeing Employee RR Club-St Louis http://www.berrc-stl.com/
  • 125 posts
Posted by mountaingoatgreg on Friday, November 26, 2010 11:59 AM

Did a little rework on my layout fixing a curve....

I also got finished up Wishers Washers

Be Wise Beware Be Safe

"Mountain Goat" Greg

SP&S Oregon Trunk

• 23,330 posts
Posted by selector on Friday, November 26, 2010 12:17 PM

You fellows do good work! I like the steamer coming through the imposing scenery at top...reminds be a bit of the Hell's Gate area of the Fraser Valley in south-western British Columbia. Wishers Washers turned out well!  TomKat, you have a very creditable layout there...very deliberate and careful, and well executed.

I call my effort for the week, "Pillar of smoke", a reference to a video with a closely related name on the Norfolk & Western. That's a Y Class Mallet on the head end.  

Crandell

• 1,592 posts
Posted by Grampys Trains on Friday, November 26, 2010 12:21 PM

Good looking rocks, Brent. Excellent  shot, Crandell.

Night fueling a GP7. DJ.

• 1,358 posts
Posted by secondhandmodeler on Friday, November 26, 2010 1:13 PM

Nice shots everyone.  Here are a couple quick snapshots of my Berkshire.

Corey
  • 10,660 posts
Posted by Heartland Division CB&Q on Friday, November 26, 2010 1:19 PM

Nice work and great photography, everybody!

Here is an industry I just built. It is a large bakery (bread factory). It is consturcted primarily of Walthers modular pieces. The silos are for flour storage, and they are constructed mostly with 1 1/2" plastic drain pipe. I'll be adding more scenery and some signs eventually.

GARRY

HEARTLAND DIVISION, CB&Q RR

EVERYWHERE LOST; WE HUSTLE OUR CABOOSE FOR YOU

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Friday, November 26, 2010 1:26 PM

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• 71 posts
Posted by tarhawk on Friday, November 26, 2010 2:24 PM

Hi Mountain Goat,

I really enjoy the pics of your layout. Can you tell me what model you used as the basis for Wisher Washers? It looks great. I am up the road from you in Lawrence.

Tarhawk

• 2,538 posts
Posted by dti406 on Friday, November 26, 2010 2:37 PM

Here are some of the cars that I finished last week!

This is an IMRC PS1 car that I started 15 years ago, I finally masked the sides of the car and painted the ends black.  I applied the lettering using Mark Vaughn's decals.

This is an IMRC PS1 car that I did after receiving my Details Associates decals. The decals called for an Athearn can but my research revealed that all the double door cars were Pullman Standard cars. 

I recently purchased an old Rail Model Journal for an article on prototype FGE RBL's, included in the magazine were a set of Microscale Decals and a detailed article on building GAEX boxcars.  I varied from the article in that Branchline Models has released a GARX reefer that I did not install the refridgerator door but instead installed an 8' sliding door.  You probably can't read the little placard but this car was leased to the Wabash.  I have another set of the decals and will do a lease car to the PRR and SGS decals gave me a set to do a PC car after the lease expired and the PRR purchased the cars.

Thanks for looking!

Rick

Rule 1: This is my railroad.

Rule 2: I make the rules.

Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome, but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

• 1,269 posts
Posted by jon grant on Friday, November 26, 2010 3:18 PM

Some newer locos soon to be weathered and detailled, not necessarily in that order.

Enjoy the weekend

Jon

Sweethome Chicago is now on Facebook

Sweethome Alabama is now on Facebook

Hudson Road is now on Facebook

my videos

my Railimages

• 1,951 posts
Posted by wedudler on Friday, November 26, 2010 3:38 PM

Working at McMurphy, Third Street District.

Wolfgang

Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

Come to us http://www.westportterminal.de          my videos        my blog

• 125 posts
Posted by mountaingoatgreg on Friday, November 26, 2010 4:05 PM

Tarhawk--

Thanks!!!!

This is a kit from Scale Structures Limited and is listed under their Crafstman Resin Kits as Wishers Washers. This building is not going to end up on my layout, but I had a good time puting this one together anyway.

Be Wise Beware Be Safe

"Mountain Goat" Greg

SP&S Oregon Trunk

• 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Friday, November 26, 2010 4:07 PM

All of my time lately has been in the quest to come up with a new layout plan. Talk about taking up my time. I bet I have spent well over 40 hours on the planing stage so far.

I have a good sizes room, and most of the 19 X 26 foot area can be used. I still run out of room? Guess I want to much, but don't we all? Big Smile Hardest part is I want 4 main lines, eats up the spaces fast.

These are my two favorites so far.

This one would require a duck under or a lift out bridge.

This is the leader so far.

High lite of this one is 486 feet of track not counting the yard or spurs.

Ken

I hate Rust

• 1,773 posts
Posted by ChadLRyan on Friday, November 26, 2010 4:14 PM

Howdy!

Great shots as always, love that night shot, & awesome scenery work!  Just -nother build shot from me.

This is an HO Athearn (newer Y&B box) CN GP40, I still consider it a (BB-with grab irons) with it's big filament bulb & flat spring pickups.  The purpose of this model is to show a few things;
Standard out of the box build I apply to a loco.
Wanted a Canadian machine with snow sheilds & tractor type ditchlights.
See if my sister has ever seen one of these, as she lives near a CN rail line.
Some but not all of the parts used are;
Railflyer GP Spartan Cab Snow Sheilds
Railflyer Lampshade Ditchlights
Railflyer Bell (from a 4 unit set)
Detail Associates; Lift rings, coupler cut bar, Sinclair ant, tank details, Dropsteps, & MU socket.
Details West; Plow, EOT antenna, Nathan horn, & Hoses.
A-Line; Wipers, & visors.
I did not add on an etched walkway deck, as this will not be a stellar model & I have plans for that deck later on anyway.
I left it unpainted for now, to show to non-train people what goes into 'minting out' a standard locomotive.
I have a few details to add, may do more with the fuel tank ends, add the trainline hoses, & the air deflectors on the cab windows. 

It was fun to spend a little time & not get too serious on this particular model.

Chad L Ryan
  • 302 posts
Posted by Odie on Friday, November 26, 2010 4:55 PM

• 4,646 posts
Posted by jacon12 on Friday, November 26, 2010 5:37 PM

Passing on a crowded bridge..

in this recently completed area.  Well, they never are really complete are they.

The background area to the right needs many more trees!

Grampy, Crandell, those are both excellent shots!

Jarrell

HO Scale DCC Modeler of 1950, give or take 30 years.
  • 84 posts
Posted by jdobo on Friday, November 26, 2010 5:43 PM

Something new in E-Street Yard

• 4,565 posts
Posted by cowman on Friday, November 26, 2010 6:47 PM

Beautiful work everyone,.

Wolfgang.  What did you use for the empty cable reels?  Have a reel factory on the prototype, thinking of having one on the layout.

Thanks, Richard

• 117 posts
Posted by 304live on Friday, November 26, 2010 10:01 PM

some great work in this thread!

• 1,781 posts
Posted by ns3010 on Friday, November 26, 2010 11:28 PM

Some very nice work this weekend!

The Tri State Rail shop forces are currently transforming an old bay window caboose into a shoving platform, or Splat.

Next up, I have to figure out what to do for handrails, and then its off to the paint shop.

My Model Railroad: Tri State Rail
My Photos on Flickr: Flickr
My Videos on Youtube: Youtube
My Photos on RRPA: RR Picture Archives

• 1,951 posts
Posted by wedudler on Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:59 AM

cowman

Beautiful work everyone,.

Wolfgang.  What did you use for the empty cable reels?  Have a reel factory on the prototype, thinking of having one on the layout.

Thanks, Richard

I've bought them at a FREMO meeting. I can't remember the name. It was a small manufacturer. Google for them, with luck you will find it.

I found them at KIBRI and PREISER.

Wolfgang

Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

Come to us http://www.westportterminal.de          my videos        my blog

• 3,576 posts
Posted by Motley on Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:15 AM

cudaken

All of my time lately has been in the quest to come up with a new layout plan. Talk about taking up my time. I bet I have spent well over 40 hours on the planing stage so far.

I have a good sizes room, and most of the 19 X 26 foot area can be used. I still run out of room? Guess I want to much, but don't we all? Big Smile Hardest part is I want 4 main lines, eats up the spaces fast.

These are my two favorites so far.

This one would require a duck under or a lift out bridge.

This is the leader so far.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/cudaken/Layut%20ideas/BigYardandTrainStationjpg.jpg

High lite of this one is 486 feet of track not counting the yard or spurs.

Ken

Wow Ken, those look great! I think I like the second one better though. That's gonna be an awesome layout, and some long, long runs! It's gonna take you a year just to lay all the track though! hahaha.

Michael

CEO-
Mile-HI-Railroad
Prototype: D&RGW Moffat Line 1989

• 9,577 posts
Posted by cudaken on Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:26 AM

Yep, it would take a while laying the yard a lone Micheal. It will take me two days just to tear down the old layout.

Ken

I hate Rust

• 3,576 posts
Posted by Motley on Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:53 AM

cudaken

Yep, it would take a while laying the yard a lone Micheal. It will take me two days just to tear down the old layout.

Ken

And exactly when are you going to start?

Michael

CEO-
Mile-HI-Railroad
Prototype: D&RGW Moffat Line 1989

• 1,114 posts
Posted by Tom Bryant_MR on Saturday, November 27, 2010 8:17 AM

Decided to change the green color on my facia - was just not right.  SpoonYard now has a valance with same color as facia. That valance helps a lot. I use 6500K fluorescents - very bright.

Also, have the backdrop and valance up on the business side of Clark Fork Island.  The "mouse hole" you see is the tunnel portal - the trains will enter the layout proper here from Spoon Yard.

Tom

• 125 posts
Posted by mountaingoatgreg on Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:24 AM

Looks like we are off to a good start this weekend....

I was able to do a little more work on my Tum-A-Lum Lumber company hardware store interior.

More photos of this building on my website

Be Wise Beware Be Safe

"Mountain Goat" Greg

SP&S Oregon Trunk

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:01 AM

Finished up a "historic" (1990s) commercial for my White River Southern Railroad. As usual, I can't stand the sound of my own voice, but it'll have to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix6waFXazY0

Today I'm going to start the process of documenting the WRS in photos before starting to dismantle it. You can find the story and a link to the blog for my next railroad here: WRS Blog - Notice of Liquidation

• 2,150 posts
Posted by tangerine-jack on Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:32 PM

Very nice work everybody!  Here is my own unworthy submission to the WPF.  I've only recently had a chance to rough in some scenery on my BCRR and so far I've got the dirt in the yard and the town mostly roughed in as flats and a commercial backdrop.  I will let all this stand as is for about a week then look at it again to see what other elements of scenery I need, I believe less is more.  Future plans call for a handful of yard buildings and a totaly redesigned shore line as I am not at all happy with the one there now.

The loco is a bashed GP-10 (in skeleton) which is the primary motive power of the prototype, the Pullman car is an actual prototype that was used as a maintenance of way car, then abandoned- it will be joined by two other old converted MW cars very soon.  Due to bad science, I underestimated the sea level at the car float and need to raise the ocean level 5/8", then I can finish the shoreline.  As the prototype uses, the gondolas are only for loading the carfloat so the loco does not need to be on the apron and are permanently assigned to this yard duty.

Whew!  Lots and lots of things to do and so little time....

The Dixie D Short Line "Lux Lucet In Tenebris Nihil Igitur Mors Est Ad Nos 2001"

• 490 posts
Posted by nik .n on Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:17 PM

jacon12

Passing on a crowded bridge..

http://upload.pbase.com/image/130654074.jpg

in this recently completed area.  Well, they never are really complete are they.

http://www.pbase.com/jarrell/image/130215724.jpg

The background area to the right needs many more trees!

Grampy, Crandell, those are both excellent shots!

Jarrell

Dang, that is good lookin! YesCool

What did you take the pictures with?

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all