Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

'Unstoppable' AWVR decals?

34 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 327 posts
'Unstoppable' AWVR decals?
Posted by the North East Rail Modeler on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:45 PM

I just saw the 'Unstoppable' movie today, and asde from it being a real good movie (in my opinion, at least) I also liked the paint schemes of the locomotives for the fictional Allegheny and West Virginia Railroad.

I think I have seen several photos floating around out there in cyber space, and I was wondering, Are there any decal sheets for any of the locomotives in Unstoppable? Or will I have to make my own?

Do you think there would be any chance that a decal company (i.e. Microscale) would eventually make decals for the movie?

Thank you.

• 405 posts
Posted by THayman on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:09 PM

I don't know of any decals yet, but I suspect someone will do them (probably a small custom run...you could even get someone to do it for you). It would more likely be a small firm, rather than Microscale.

Interesting thing though...Athearn is releasing an AC4400CW for CP Rail which is painted to match one of the CP units that was used for filming, after it's CP repaint. These 4 locos are unique on CP because while the body was repainted, they left the yellow striping on the plow from the movie!

Check it out:

The real unit:

And then the upcoming Athearn model (due in January):

It's not AWVR, but it's sort of close :P Perhaps Athearn would even think of producing an AWVR AC4400CW some time in the future. Let them know you're interested, they might just think about it. They're doing plenty of other "fantasy schemes", so perhaps that wouldn't be too far off.

-Tim

• 405 posts
Posted by THayman on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:12 PM

9751 was one of the locos painted as the trailing 767 by the way, so in the AWVR scheme with more black in it.

-Tim

• 3,549 posts
Posted by Flashwave on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:25 PM

People keep poking Athearn to do it, but you can always try printing them on white-back decal paper. The engines are easy enough to find, a prettycommon model in the Ho scale. Actually, all of them are.

-Morgan

• 872 posts
Posted by pike-62 on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:59 AM

This is the first unit I painted. I do not have pictures of the sister unit (767) which just made it out of the paint shop the other day. I still need to put the white reflective markings on the walkway sides.

• 109 posts
Posted by Arras88 on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:08 AM

I saw a movie trailer a half year ago. I wrote an email to the 20th Century Fox movie company with an idea for a Special Collector's Edition with DVD Smile

It would be a great special pack - two models of AWVR AC4400CW #777 i #767 with the DVD. I wrote in my email that Kato have already produced this model so maybe it would be possible to order a special painting from Kato.
It could be an extraordinary movie promotion. Unfortunatelly, they didn't send me any reply.

• 3,150 posts
Posted by CNJ831 on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:35 AM

I would tend to agree with THayman that any decal run by a commercial manufacturer will be a small, custom run, only briefly available to hobbyists. Hobbyist interest in movie-themed paint schemes and heralds is typically highly transient in nature. I really wouldn't expect to see interest in this one lasting more than a few months before fading. I recall that MDC produced an entire circus train based on one of the highly touted Indiana Jones films and they don't even seem to turn up on eBay these days!

Custom decals generally prove much better sellers when associated with a longer lasting, broader audience, rather than the small percentage to folks who make a point of seeing some new train-oriented film in theaters. Thus, G&D decals and complete cars have had a long history in the marketplace, as have decals for the Turtle Creek Central and those depicting a few other famous model railroads.

CNJ831

• 327 posts
Posted by the North East Rail Modeler on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:55 PM

Thanks for the responce everyone.

I never knew about CP9751 keeping the safety stripes on the plow from the movie.

It's also interesting that there is not that big of a chance for a large run of decals, although THayman's responce does give me hope that Athern may consier a release of AC 4400s in the AWVR schemes (I agree, Athern has done some unusual scheme releases, as well as some rather difficult ones to pull off. We might just well see AWVR 777 in the Athern flyers in the future)

All options considered, I'll ask Athern if they will consider a run of the AWVR schemes, and start considering using that decal program I've had laying around for a few years now.

Thanks.

• 405 posts
Posted by THayman on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:37 PM

the North East Rail Modeler

Thanks for the responce everyone.

I never knew about CP9751 keeping the safety stripes on the plow from the movie.

It's also interesting that there is not that big of a chance for a large run of decals, although THayman's responce does give me hope that Athern may consier a release of AC 4400s in the AWVR schemes (I agree, Athern has done some unusual scheme releases, as well as some rather difficult ones to pull off. We might just well see AWVR 777 in the Athern flyers in the future)

All options considered, I'll ask Athern if they will consider a run of the AWVR schemes, and start considering using that decal program I've had laying around for a few years now.

Thanks.

Yep, all 4 CP AC4400CWs that were used kept their safety stripes. I guess they figured it just didn't make sense to repaint the plow, as it will get dirty and banged up soon enough anyways.

The main consideration for why no big firm is likely to release these decals is that the interest group will be very small. Yes, the movie is very popular and on everyone's minds now, but that will fade over the next few years to the point that many people forget about it. Even those who really enjoy the movie now will somewhat decline in their interest. Not to say that they'll start to dislike the movie, but rather that they won't think about it as much. Yes, I agree that an AWVR unit would be neat to have on the shelf (I'd buy one), and even to maybe recreate the filming of the movie on your layout, but most people will want to run their prototype or freelanced railroads. The AWVR is a novelty at the moment.

So I think it would be great to see a custom run, of either decals or painted locomotives, but I don't expect a run from Microscale or anything more than a very limited run. We'll see though. If you want it, keep pestering. It's the only way they'll know there's interest!

-Tim

• 10,743 posts
Posted by vsmith on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:16 PM

Make sure your layout has a nice sharp bend on a trestle above a tank farm that you can try to careen you trains around on one rail, You couldnt have asked for a better ready made peril than that location. BTW Tyco locos are cheap and plentiful if you decide to go the full Gomez Addams route SurpriseStick out tongue

Have fun with your trains

• 327 posts
Posted by the North East Rail Modeler on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:45 PM

THayman

So I think it would be great to see a custom run, of either decals or painted locomotives, but I don't expect a run from Microscale or anything more than a very limited run. We'll see though. If you want it, keep pestering. It's the only way they'll know there's interest!

Will do. I gave thought to using a custom decal company to get some AWVR decals, but the "Minimum 150 sheets per run" requirement drove me off real quick.

• 8,571 posts
Posted by richg1998 on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:04 PM
"The real story".
SD-40-2 locomotive.
Freight, 22 loaded, and 25 empty cars, 2898 gross trailing tons,
How many tons was the freight in the movie?
The runaway loco was a SD40-2. The chase loco was a SD40-2.
The chase loco running backwards at up to 65 mph and caught the runaway which was running at near full throttle. The chase loco caught the runaway which was at about 51mph.

You can believe what you want.

Rich

If you ever fall over in public, pick yourself up and say “sorry it’s been a while since I inhabited a body.” And just walk away.

• 405 posts
Posted by THayman on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:31 PM

One thing I hadn't thought of before is an issue of licensing. This is a Hollywood movie, so they're not just going to let anyone market a product that is ultimately their trademark. Any company wishing to make custom decals for themselves would be fine, but if they tried to sell them it would become a potential copyright infringement case pretty quickly.

This was pointed out to me by the guy at Highball Graphics, who said he initially thought about doing a run of these decals, but was deterred by the potential licensing issues. Perhaps a large company like Athearn could afford to get the rights to produce a model, but I don't know if they'd bother with the hassle unless they were confident of the demand.

Perhaps it would need to be done as a promotional product in association with the film company, but I doubt that will happen. We'll see.

-Tim

• 327 posts
Posted by the North East Rail Modeler on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:48 PM

THayman

One thing I hadn't thought of before is an issue of licensing. This is a Hollywood movie, so they're not just going to let anyone market a product that is ultimately their trademark. Any company wishing to make custom decals for themselves would be fine, but if they tried to sell them it would become a potential copyright infringement case pretty quickly.

Well, there's a problem.

I completely forgot about the copyright stuff and legal stuff that companies would have to go through to get the rights to even think about making a model/ decals.

Now, keeping that in mind, I think any kind of decal run is out of the question, unless demand stays up for AWVR 777, and the other road numbers (although there is still some hope that Athern may do a run of the AC 44000s)

I think that gives me the answer: invest in  good decal-making software, and make my own decals for my own use.Indifferent

• 3,549 posts
Posted by Flashwave on Friday, November 19, 2010 2:33 AM

THayman:

Well, there's a problem.

I completely forgot about the copyright stuff and legal stuff that companies would have to go through to get the rights to even think about making a model/ decals.

Now, keeping that in mind, I think any kind of decal run is out of the question, unless demand stays up for AWVR 777, and the other road numbers (although there is still some hope that Athern may do a run of the AC 44000s)

I think that gives me the answer: invest in  good decal-making software, and make my own decals for my own use.Indifferent

Good decal software: Microsft Office Word, Microsoft Paint, and if you have it, Adobe Photshop, or Fireworks, or comperable.

Use Word for making the pieces, meaured with the rulers in Word  copy them into MS Paint to save them under a JPG format. Occasioanlly, it becomes neccesary to adjust the clarity and resolution, and if you start with a picture and not a piece from Word, it's easier to trim off backgrounds with Photoshop than it is with Paint. You   don't need expensive decal software. Just get ahold of a good printer. And you'll probably need a white-back decal paper, not clear-backed.

Once you print them out, seal the paper in Glosscote.

Then, seal it again. If not properly sealed, the soaking process for applying decals can wash the ink off. It's also advised then to not soak them for very long as you can wash the ink off from the back side.

-Morgan

• 118 posts
Posted by trainguy4466 on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:10 PM
pike-62

This is the first unit I painted. I do not have pictures of the sister unit (767) which just made it out of the paint shop the other day. I still need to put the white reflective markings on the walkway sides.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/danpik/100_0784.jpg

contact me off list.

Dan

wow! that looks fantastic! completly accurate to the movie paint scheme. may I ask how you did this? I am wanting to model the paint schemes from the movie as well
modelling railroads in eastern NC
  • 872 posts
Posted by pike-62 on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:01 AM

I drew all of the artwork in Adobe Illustrator and printed the decals on my Alps printer. I have been doing decals for about 10 years now.

Dan

• 1,773 posts
Posted by ChadLRyan on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:13 AM

Dan,

Say, they look really nice in your pix. I've been part of a Sci-Fi group & they had a member 'Alps'ng' decals, & the way 'they' were printed didn't have real nice resolution, have you overcome that? I have tweaked a couple color lasers in the DPI settings & gotten good results in the past, but that was before I have needed quality HO decals.

I have not seen the movie yet, but I know I want to enroll a Canon 4 window cab for an SD40-2 real soon. Are you, or anyone here doing a model of that one?

Please post a shot of 776(?) the two tone GE, would love to see it.  (What model loco manu. did you use for your custom models? (Yeah, I may have missed it... sorry) 

Chad L Ryan
  • 872 posts
Posted by pike-62 on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:28 AM

I am going to paint up a model of the sd40 from the movie soon. The artwork is mostly the same so I can use some of what I did for the 4400's on the sd40. The models I used for the 4400's were stock Blue Box Athearns. I have to paint and letter another 777 as someone needed the one I had worse than I did and I sold it at a train show a while back. After seeing the movie I found a couple of discrepancies in my original artwork that I had to fix. Most notably, there is a unit number on the roof of the cab the same size as the number on the sides of the cab. I also now have plows for them that I need to add.

Dan

• 1,773 posts
Posted by ChadLRyan on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 1:40 PM

Thanks Dan,

I appreciate the feedback & the info! I recently asked about BB's on the Prototype page, & your's look nice! I haven't searched for the SD40-2 in the movie, but from the split second trailer shots I saw that cab window & immediately liked it. Yeah, decals can be a pain, I tried printing my own IC&E decals, but they were smudgy & washed with a sealer coat, & then I found I I forgot a comma in the lettering that differs from DM&E, Doh!! WHat was savable can be fixed, but I learn every day.. Hah hah..

Thanks again, I appreciate the info!

Chad L Ryan
  • 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:22 PM

I really like Pike62's model. As for commercially availible decal sets, It would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath waitin' for `em. I just don't see too many companies willing to pay the licensing fee or run the risk of a copyright infringement suit.

• 872 posts
Posted by pike-62 on Saturday, December 18, 2010 8:11 AM

I just saw the 'Unstoppable' movie today, and asde from it being a real good movie (in my opinion, at least) I also liked the paint schemes of the locomotives for the fictional Allegheny and West Virginia Railroad.

I think I have seen several photos floating around out there in cyber space, and I was wondering, Are there any decal sheets for any of the locomotives in Unstoppable? Or will I have to make my own?

Do you think there would be any chance that a decal company (i.e. Microscale) would eventually make decals for the movie?

Thank you.

There is a set on the auction site right now to do 777 and 767

• 1 posts
Posted by strobson1 on Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:54 AM

way cool

• 118 posts
Posted by trainguy4466 on Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:30 PM
the auction site? I'm sorry, can you be more specific? maybe a link?
modelling railroads in eastern NC
  • 8,571 posts
Posted by richg1998 on Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:55 PM

Why waste your time with a fantasy. Get the CSX decals for the locos actually used. If your layout is big enough, do a recreation of the actual event. I have a PDF document of what actually happened with a photo of the front of the chase loco and the three CSX workers who participated in the chase. You could try to see if your chase loco could slow the wayward freight to about 12 mph at the speed one of the tree CSX workers jumped on the lead loco to power it down.

Remember, the lead loco was running at full throttle and was on a down grade when the chase loco managed to slow it down before it went into a 25mph speed restriction for a curve in Kenton, OH.

The document is copyrighted so I cannot post it.

The story behind the fantasy.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=kenton%20ohio%20runaway%20train&spell=1&sa=X

Recreate the event.

http://www.ohiovalleyrail.com/2010/history/csx-8888-the-real-story-of-unstoppable/

Rich

If you ever fall over in public, pick yourself up and say “sorry it’s been a while since I inhabited a body.” And just walk away.

• 872 posts
Posted by pike-62 on Friday, February 18, 2011 5:38 AM

trainguy4466
the auction site? I'm sorry, can you be more specific? maybe a link?

"The Auction Site" generaly refers to Ebay. Links to ebay auctions are not permitted. Please keep in mind that this thread started 3 months ago and was recently resurected.

Dan

• 1 posts
Posted by bike131 on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 7:51 AM

Hi, I was wondering if you are making extra decals to sell? I am looking to repaint my engine to match the 777 model. You did a fantastic job on yours. Thank you for your time.   bike131@yahoo.com

• 1,326 posts
Posted by BerkshireSteam on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:35 PM

I won the movie. I've watched in half a dozen times. Will most likely watch it now. Through all this I have missed where it says the full AWVR name. Glad someone said it.

There are a number of quibbles in the movie but I think the one that bugs me the most is constantly saying the chase engine is running "backwards" like its some big deal. Come on, its a train! The front is whatever end someone decides to put the little 'F' on. Technically, a diesel engine has two front ends. Or two rears, depending on how you look at it.

• 1 posts
Posted by JAMFILM on Monday, January 2, 2012 3:30 PM

Hello pike-62,

I have two questions for you.

1)  I wanted to see if you made one of these  "UNSTOPPABLE" trains in O Guage?  

2)  If you did do you sell them?

I was one of the location managers on the movie and would love one for my train set.  

I can be reached at JAMFILM@GMAIL.COM

Thanks for your time and have a great day.

• 553 posts
Posted by el-capitan on Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:28 PM

BerkshireSteam

There are a number of quibbles in the movie but I think the one that bugs me the most is constantly saying the chase engine is running "backwards" like its some big deal. Come on, its a train! The front is whatever end someone decides to put the little 'F' on. Technically, a diesel engine has two front ends. Or two rears, depending on how you look at it.

Also, are any companies going to offer scale crossing gates that come down as the train crosses the road? Big Smile

Check out the Deming Sub by clicking on the pics:

Deming Sub Deming Sub

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all