Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

COn Cor's New 65' passengers for 18R curves!

10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 9,236 posts
COn Cor's New 65' passengers for 18R curves!
Posted by galaxy on Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:28 PM

Just what those with the tighter radius curves have been looking for that are great designed and NOT the "oldtyme" passenger cars! Due out in early 2011!

Con COr is comming out with HO "Branchline-Commuter & Suburban Cars".

The "BCS" cars are 65 scale feet long and designed with 18R curves specifically in mind. They have knuckle couplers. They are designed to serve the time frame easily of the 20's to the late 50's!

Comes in  :Baggage Mail cars

COmbine Cars

Coach Cars

Solarium Observartion car

Also comes in 12 road names and 2 undecorated {red or green pullman}

They are due out next year

for more infor click here:

http://www.con-cor.com/094200BCS.html

Pre-order and you may qualify for a 20% discount it says!

-G .

Just my thoughts, ideas, opinions and experiences. Others may vary.

HO and N Scale.

After long and careful thought, they have convinced me. I have come to the conclusion that they are right. The aliens did it.

• 6,845 posts
Posted by jrbernier on Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:37 PM

That's just the latest run of the PRR MP-54 passenger cars.  Even though you might be able to get one around an 18" radius, try coupling them up and see if the diaphragms will allow a 'train' of them to reliably go around an 18" radius curve.  Note that they are sort of pricey, but in-line with the full length cars from Walthers/Rapido.

The MP54 cars are unpowered copies of the electrified suburban cars that PRR used around Philly.    They are great for modeling a suburban or branch line operation.  Of course the 60' C&NW Rivarossi cars were also great for that kind of operation.

Jim

Modeling BNSF  and Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin

• 12,860 posts
Posted by ATLANTIC CENTRAL on Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:49 PM

jrbernier

That's just the latest run of the PRR MP-54 passenger cars.  Even though you might be able to get one around an 18" radius, try coupling them up and see if the diaphragms will allow a 'train' of them to reliably go around an 18" radius curve.  Note that they are sort of pricey, but in-line with the full length cars from Walthers/Rapido.

The MP54 cars are unpowered copies of the electrified suburban cars that PRR used around Philly.    They are great for modeling a suburban or branch line operation.  Of course the 60' C&NW Rivarossi cars were also great for that kind of operation.

Jim

Jim, the OP is not refering to the MP-54 cars, he is refering to these:

They are all new and appear to be simply freelanced.

Sheldon

• 9,236 posts
Posted by galaxy on Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:16 PM

jrbernier

Jim

They are the newly designed "Branchline-Commuter & Suburban" or "B.C.S." series for 18R curves so should function well on 18r curves. They DO use the MP54 lighting system to light the cars, according to the site: "The same fantastic car lighting system used on our HO mP54 series of cars will also come built into this new series of B.C.S. series cars..." So they are NOT the same cars.

I do have LL 65' cheapy silver passenger cars with the paper people "sillohettes" in the window that negotiate my 18r curves, though they are cheapy and not detailed. I would like to have an option besides the "oldtyme" passenger cars to run on my 18r curves. The Con COr BCS series,  I think, is the answer for many who have 18r curves and want decent looking detailed passenger cars. For me in the B&O blue will look cool behind my B&O  A & B set!

-G .

HO and N Scale.

After long and careful thought, they have convinced me. I have come to the conclusion that they are right. The aliens did it.

• 313 posts
Posted by wojosa31 on Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:20 PM

Jim:

The ConCor "Suburban" cars are not MP54s although they may be based on the PRR Cars. They are strictly freelanced.

The Next run of MP54s may be the MP54Es - powered MUs - with numerous variations. The MUs are somewhere in the pipeline.

I run my "Parkton Local" composed of ConCor MP54s behind a Bachmann K4 with a TCS decoder. It runs fine and looks good on my home layout with 24 and 26" curves.

Joe

• 2,314 posts
Posted by don7 on Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:53 PM

I have preordered a couple of sets, having seen the MP 54 coaches as a reference. I decided to take a chance as the two sets I ordered are for Canadian railroads I model.

The LHS brought in a few of Con Cor's MP 54's. While I did not need any of the cars myself, I was very impressed with the quality of finish of the coaches.  I saw the coaches being run and was very impressed with the lighting as well.  I assume the new Branchline coaches will be as good, if not better quality.

• 9,236 posts
Posted by galaxy on Friday, November 5, 2010 7:28 AM

don7

I have preordered a couple of sets, having seen the MP 54 coaches as a reference. I decided to take a chance as the two sets I ordered are for Canadian railroads I model.

When you pre-order, do they charge your Credit Card right away or when they ship the actual product to you?

-G .

HO and N Scale.

• 313 posts
Posted by wojosa31 on Friday, November 5, 2010 10:10 AM

Based on the appearance/operation of mu MP54s, I do not think you will be disappointed, as long as you know up front that they are "stand-ins" for whatever the railroads you modeled used.

I loosely model the PRR and Reading so the MP54 is perfect for me. I also utilize BCW Reading Prototype cars which at full length scale out at 72' which is approximately equivalent to the length of the old Athearn BB heavyweights.  Intermountain sometimes runs these as "build-ups" mostly in RDG - CNJ and B&M. The BCW cars are also specific prototype, and the Athearns are dated, but both will handle 18" curves.

Joe

• 9,236 posts
Posted by galaxy on Friday, November 5, 2010 11:59 AM

Whoo Hoo! Other half said order some!

I just pre-ordered a complete set of one of each car in the B&O blue/grey scheme. Will look cool behind my blue/grey B&O loco A&B set.

No money or credit card needed for the preorder, not charged til the item is in hand and ready to ship. 20% discount for preorders applies until a certain date {I qualified and didn't ask when the "til when" date is sorry guys}. 

They will call when the items are in their hands to confirm you still want the items and will then charge and ship to you.

Just hought I'd update you.

{Of course other half likes the Canadian Pacific color as is red and is favorite color for both of us but I have no use for CP now}

-G .

HO and N Scale.

• 2,314 posts
Posted by don7 on Friday, November 5, 2010 1:25 PM

galaxy

don7:

When you pre-order, do they charge your Credit Card right away or when they ship the actual product to you?

I will be charged when the item is received and is ready to ship to me,

• 9,236 posts
Posted by galaxy on Friday, November 5, 2010 4:47 PM

don7

galaxy:

don7:

I will be charged when the item is received and is ready to ship to me,

Yep! I found that out when the other half said to go ahead and order some! Awesome! So I called and preordered at the 20% discount with no money down and no CC # needed yet, until the item is here and ready to ship!

"Kewl". as the young'uns would say!

-G .

HO and N Scale.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all