Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

HO 2-10-2 Spectrum locomotive

15 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 57 posts
HO 2-10-2 Spectrum locomotive
Posted by timber2 on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:44 AM

I have an HO 2-10-2 Spectrum locomotive, undecaled. Bachmann/Spectrum lost my other locomotive I sent them for repair, so they sent me this one as a replacement.

I want to designate this locomotive a B&O, but I cannot find a picture of a prototype B&O 2-10-2, square tender, in this style 2-10-2 for proper engine number.

Can one of you experts tell me how this locomotive should be decaled?

Thanks much,

• 305,205 posts
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:35 AM

IIRC, the B & O Class 1 and and S-1a Santa Fe´s were coupled to a Vanderbilt tender, not to a square one.

• 12,867 posts
Posted by ATLANTIC CENTRAL on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:47 AM

Ulrich is correct, B&O 2-10-2's all had vanderbilt tenders.

The first ones, class S, are closest to the Bachmann loco model in other features and had smaller tenders.

So by replacing the tender with a Vanderbilt tender you could get close.

The tender used by Bachmann behind the C&O H4 2-6-6-2 would be close for a class S.

The long vandy tender offered by Bachmann is close for a class S-1.

S class locos were numbered 6000 thru 6030

None of these are exact.

Sheldon

• 1,012 posts
Posted by Forty Niner on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:12 AM

To my knowledge B&O didn't own any USRA 2-10-2's, they owned a pile of USRA 2-8-2's though. Rivarossi made an excellent version of a B&O 2-10-2 though, you may have to do a bit of searching, (start with EBAY), but they are out there,

Pennsy had some USRA 2-10-2's if that would help.......

Mark

• 311 posts
Posted by PRR_in_AZ on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:23 AM

Pennsy 2-10-2 look nothing like the Bachman (USRA) 2-10-2 as the were extensively rebuilt with Belpaire fireboxes and Pennsy-fied.

Chris

• 1,012 posts
Posted by Forty Niner on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:29 AM

I understand that Chris, but they "started" life as USRA engines didn't they?

Mark

• 311 posts
Posted by PRR_in_AZ on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:45 AM

Yep you're right but after the pennsy got done with them they really didn't look like the original engines.  Probably easier to use one from one of the other railroads that didn't modify them as much and throw the correct tender behind.  Pennsy's were all coal burning too.Big Smile

Chris

• 57 posts
Posted by timber2 on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:10 PM

What railroads used this specific 2-10-2 locomotive with square tender?

• 1,012 posts
Posted by Forty Niner on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:19 PM

Might be able to find a list of them "online" somewhere, and don't for get they also made lots of copies as well..........

Just from my faulty memory, B&LE, then sold them to the DM&IR, Southern, C&IM, Wabash, MoPac, C&O )I think?), and the CB&Q...

Again, from memory only........nest bet would be to check the Kalmbach "Locomotive Cyclopedia" as they have the listings for all of the USRA engines and the copies.

Mark

• 2,314 posts
Posted by don7 on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:33 PM

This is an excerpt from the Model Railroader review of the Bachmann USRA 2-10-2

Bachmann's HO USRA light 2-10-2
Bachmann's HO USRA light 2-10-2
This powerful HO 2-10-2 may be called a "light" 2-10-2, but it's still a big steam locomotive by most model railroad standards. For its size, this new Bachmann locomotive is surprisingly flexible and capable of negotiating 18"-radius curves. A factory installed automatic dual-mode decoder allows it to operate on either DC or DCC (Digital Command Control).

The prototype for this 2-10-2 Santa Fe type was designed by the United States Railroad Administration (USRA) while the government controlled the nation's railroads during World War I. This locomotive was designed as a drag engine in an era when speed wasn't considered as important as pulling power, so it was the second largest rigid-frame locomotive in the USRA's series of standard locomotives (the heavy 2-10-2 outweighed it).

All 94 of the light 2-10-2s were built by Alco and Baldwin in 1918 and 1919. The initial 50 locomotives were assigned to the Southern Ry.; then 15 went to the Seaboard Air Line, 10 to the Boston & Albany (sold to Canadian National in 1928), 10 to the Duluth, Missabe & Northern (predecessor of the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range), 5 to the Chicago & Western Indiana (for its subsidiary, the Belt Ry. of Chicago), and 4 to the Ann Arbor RR.

Bachmann's model of the light 2-10-2 is a credible replica of its prototype. It closely matches the dimensions shown in the USRA drawings published in Simmons- Boardman's 1922 Locomotive Cyclopedia, including the locomotive's overall wheelbase. Even though this is a USRA standard locomotive, there are six different models offered with prototype-specific details. These detail variations reflect modifications the owners made during the 2-10-2s' long service lives. A well- illustrated instruction sheet has more than two dozen exploded isometric drawings that show all of these alternate parts. A standard USRA boiler and cab is fitted with a choice of four boiler fronts and two types of running boards and handrails. The basic mechanism is assembled with either Southern or Walschaerts valve gear, spoked or Boxpok main (center) drivers, and a Delta or Hodges trailing truck. There are four different tender bodies made with high, low, and narrow coal bunkers, and an oil fuel version.

• 12,867 posts
Posted by ATLANTIC CENTRAL on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:43 PM

Forty Niner

To my knowledge B&O didn't own any USRA 2-10-2's, they owned a pile of USRA 2-8-2's though. Rivarossi made an excellent version of a B&O 2-10-2 though, you may have to do a bit of searching, (start with EBAY), but they are out there,

Pennsy had some USRA 2-10-2's if that would help.......

Mark

True the B&O never had any USRA 2-10-2's, but the B&O S class built in 1914 is very close in major demensions and features, including driver size, to the slightly later USRA loco Bachmann models.

A reread of my original post will show I clearly said "close", not a match.

One would think that since the OP asked about B&O, that he is intersted in that railroad, but maybe not. Bachmann originally offered the loco lettered for all the roads that had them. A quick check of their catalog and www.steamlocomotive.com will provide all the info you could want about that.

Sheldon 

• 2,314 posts
Posted by don7 on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:54 PM

B & O 2-10-2, engine # 330 with rectangular box tender and with Vandy tender.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s330a.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s330.jpg

The majority of the B & O 2-10-2's did have vandy tenders, but as the pictures indicate at one time a rectangular tender was used.

• 12,867 posts
Posted by ATLANTIC CENTRAL on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:05 PM

don7

B & O 2-10-2, engine # 330 with rectangular box tender and with Vandy tender.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s330a.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s330.jpg

The majority of the B & O 2-10-2's did have vandy tenders, but as the pictures indicate at one time a rectangular tender was used.

Don, sorry, but the loco in the first picture, #330, is Q-3 Mikado 2-8-2, not a 2-10-2.

And the second picture is not #330, even if labeled such on www.rr-fallenflags.org

Sheldon

• 13,793 posts
Posted by wjstix on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:54 PM

It's not that hard to change from one Spectrum tender to another. You can either just try plugging the engine into the Vandy tender and see if it works. If not, the "lightboard" in the tender only has two connections (one to each truck) which can easily be disconnected and then can just move the square tender's board over to the Vandy. Either way it's very do-able.

Stix
  • 13,375 posts
Posted by doctorwayne on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:59 PM

As Sheldon suggested, the Bachmann 2-10-2 should be a good starting point for a B&O "Big Six".  From the brief glimpse in this video, changing the sand domes and swapping the tender for one of Bachmann's Vanderbilt-types should provide enough B&O character to look convincing to most observers.  Of course, move the headlight up high and change any other details you feel necessary.  Bachmann's tenders are available separately.

Wayne

• 127 posts
Posted by Flynn on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:25 PM

Forty Niner

I understand that Chris, but they "started" life as USRA engines didn't they?

Mark

Pennsy did have a couple hundred 2-10-2's used in heavy drag freight.  They had their Lines West designed N-1 class which is nothing similar to any USRA model.  The N-2 is the Pennsy USRA and was a heavy 2-10-2, which was still smaller than the N-1.  The Bachmann version is a light 2-10-2.  The drivers on the Bachmann and valve gear are all wrong.  The Proto 2000 could pass for a USRA heavy 2-10-2 with modifications (which is what I'm doing to my Proto 2000).

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all