Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

How to post pictures to a thread

21 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 15,583 posts
How to post pictures to a thread
Posted by hon30critter on Monday, October 11, 2010 11:30 PM

I have asked a few questions about this topic recently and received some great answers from 'Steinjr' and 'Cudaken' and others. I was actually able to understand their advise well enough to make it work! However, I received an e-mail from 'Cedarwoodron' asking me to try to document everything I went through in my learning curve because he suggested that there were others out there who could use a more detailed description. These instructions are a direct takeoff of 'Steinjr's and 'Cudaken's responses to my first enquiry on how to post pictures to a thread. There are other ways to do this.

One word of caution - now that I have learned to post pics I am looking at my models through the eye of the camera. You will be suprised at how many deficiencies pop out from that view. I have a lot of work to do!

General Overview. There are 3 parts to the process of posting your pictures:

1. Moving your pictures from your camera to your computer and organizing them

2. Moving your pictures into Photobucket

3. Moving your pictures from Photobucket to your posts to MRR

First, open a Photobucket account

1. Go to http://www.photobucket.com

2. Click on 'sign up' in the upper right hand corner

3. On the registration page enter a user name and password and answer the other questions. Make a note of your user name and password because you may need them later. Click on 'sign me up'

4. On the next screen you will be asked to sign up for the 'pro' version. According to Stein there is no reason to spend your money but you might want to read the small print. Stein's suggestion is to click 'no thanks'.

5. Next screen, accept the default setting 'public' for albums. You are now ready to post pics to Photobucket. Keep in mind that anyone will be able to view your 'public' pictures.

Next, download your pictures from your camera and organize them if you haven't done so already.

I use Olympus Camedia Master but you should be able to use whatever program came with your camera or the generic Microsoft stuff. Your goal here is to organize your pictures in the 'My Pictures' folder of your computer so that they can easily be found when you want to post them. I recommend using separate folders for each subject. Just be careful when you are setting up new folders within 'My Pictures' that you have selected 'Pictures' as the primary folder into which the album will be filed before you move any pictures. That means that on the list of folders the word 'Pictures' should be highlighted in blue or outlined in dotted lines. If a sub-folder is selected (outlined in dotted lines) when you are downloading from the camera the pictures will be filed under that sub-folder which may make them hard to find. Sub-folders are fine once you develop a sorting system for your pictures.

Open your browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.) to start a post or respond to one.

1. Go to MRR forums. You will have to sign in to be able to post pictures.

2. Select your forum and either start a new thread or select the 'reply' in an existing thread to which you would like to post.

3. Enter your subject if you are starting a new thread.

4. Write your message to the point where you want to insert your picture(s).

Open a second browser window to work with Photobucket.

1. To open a second browser window, there should be a small icon on the bottom left of your screen representing your browser. (Internet Explorer looks like an 'e' with a orbiting band.) Click on it. Alternately, click on the minus sign on the upper right of your screen to minimize the current browser, and then click on the browser icon on your desktop to open the second browser window. In windows 7, right click on the browser icon and click on "open new tab". 

2. In the second browser, go to Photobucket and sign in (you may still be signed in from your registration). If you put Photobucket into your 'favourites' it will be easy to find.

3. You may want to organize your pictures in Photobucket in a similar manner to what you did in 'My Pictures' so click on 'create an album' and follow the directions on the screen.

4. To upload pictures to Photobucket from 'My Pictures' click on the green image that says"upload images and videos".

5. A pop up window will appear which will allow you to search your computer to locate the 'My Pictures' folder. When the pop up first appears it may not show the full listing of all the folders on your computer. If so, to the right of the top box there will be an icon showing a folder with an arrow pointing up. Click on that icon and you should get a list of all the folders on your computer. You may have to click on it a few times to reach the main menu.

6.Scroll down to the folder that contains the pictures you want to post. If the listing shows 'Pictures' with no subfolders showing, click on 'Pictures' and the list of subfolders should appear.

7. Click on the subfolder that contains your desired pictures. Your pictures should appear.

8. Double click on the picture that you want to post. The picture will then be posted to Photobucket.

9. Repeat the procedure to move as many pictures as you want by alternating between Photobucket and the 'My Pictures' browser windows. To alternate between browsers, click on the appropriate browser listing at the bottom of your screen. Set up as many albums as you will need in Photobucket as you move the pictures from 'My Pictures'. (There is a 'bulk' uploader option which I haven't explored yet. Maybe others can elaborate).

Posting your pictures to the MRR thread.

1. Go to the browser window where Photobucket is open. Click on the picture you want to post. You should get a larger view of the picture.

2. To the lower left of the image there will appear a box with 4 lines in it, one of which is 'Direct Link'.

3. Click on the text immediately to the right of the words 'Direct Link'. The box should highlight in blue and the word 'copied' should appear briefly highlighted in yellow to the left of the text .

4. Go to the bottom of the screen and click on the browser window that contains your post to the MRR forum. Your draft posting should appear.

5. Move the cursor to where you want the picture to appear.

6. Above the message box there will be a line of icons. Click on the one that looks like a piece of camera film. A window will appear labelled 'Insert Media'.(Edit March 2013 -  the camera film icon is actually for videos. It will work for single pictures but there is a single picture icon with a green "+" sign to the immediate left of the camera film icon that is intended for single pictures).

7. Move the cursor to the top box in the window that pops up, and right click the mouse. A menu will appear.

8. Click on 'Paste'. The URL (address in Photobucket) for that picture will appear in the box.

9. Click on' Insert'. The image should appear in the message box of your draft posting. Don't worry if the image is too big in the draft. It seems to come out OK when you post.

10. Continue adding pictures and/or text as you wish. (Edit March 2013 - adding a second picture to a post is a pain in the butt with the new Photobucket software. You have to move the cursor to the next line below the first picture to add the second picture and/or text relating to it. The cursor will not be visible (it is off screen at the bottom left of the picture). You need to hit 'end' and then 'return' (enter) to move the cursor to the next line below the first picture. This is ridiculously complicated but unless you get the cursor in the right place for the next picture the picture will not post. 

11. Click on 'Preview' at the bottom of the message to see your posting.

12. If happy, click on 'Post' !

Dave

I'm just a dude with a bad back having a lot of fun with model trains, and finally building a layout!

• 4,557 posts
Posted by cowman on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:36 PM

If you search in "Search Our Community" which is part way down the right hand column (not Search this Site) you should find some answers.  I know it is a frequent topic, however, I don't have the needed stuff to do it, so cannot be a lot of help.  I think most folks have an account with Photobucket.

Maybe getting this back to the top, someone will see it who can explain it to you.

Good luck,

• 311 posts
Posted by PRR_in_AZ on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:01 PM

Once you create your Photobucket account and upload your photos, I've just been using the old fashioned method of putting the URL to the photo between the["img"] ["/img"] tags

Example:

["img"]copy and paste your URL here["/img"]

Do this except don't include the quotes.

That's it!

Chris

• 3,417 posts
Posted by steinjr on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:28 AM

PRR_in_AZ

Once you create your Photobucket account and upload your photos, I've just been using the old fashioned method of putting the URL to the photo between the["img"] ["/img"] tags

Example:

["img"]copy and paste your URL here["/img"]

Do this except don't include the quotes.

That works too. But the original request was for the simplest way of doing it. The simplest way (IMO) is to not give people uncomfortable with computers several different either/or options.

I just tried to pick a way that will give them direct feedback on whether it worked or not - using a "direct link" from photobucket combined with the "insert media" dialog here makes them see the image right away, while editing the post.

Pasting IMG Codes in text and not seeing the result until you post is likely to unnerve people who are uneasy about computers.

Having to add codes by hand (and remembering what kind of brackets to use, whether to have space or not, adding the / at the start inside the end tag) is likewise likely to cause these people to get spooked (or just do it wrong).

But you can do this in several different ways - including clicking on the "HTML" button in the forum editor window and editing the HTML code behind your post, if you so desire :-)

Grin,
Stein

• 1,760 posts
Posted by Railphotog on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:47 AM

I'm still amazed that some still add the IMG tags to their Photobucket URLs, because Photobucket already supples the URLs with the tags already.  Why bother messing around, taking the long way to do something?   Just copy the URL  WITH the tags and paste directly into your message where you want the photo to appear.

Like this:

Bob Boudreau

CANADA

Visit my model railroad photography website: http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

• 49 posts
Posted by RobertB. on Monday, November 1, 2010 5:19 AM

One simple question here, how do you get the looks in your layout scene that the tracks are on sand surface or is that the special tracks?

• 1,760 posts
Posted by Railphotog on Monday, November 1, 2010 7:41 AM

The "sand surface" is separately applied ballast, just like on the real railroads.  I use Woodland Scenics' ballast on my dioramas and modules. 

Bob Boudreau

CANADA

Visit my model railroad photography website: http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

• 196 posts
Posted by LNEFAN on Saturday, November 6, 2010 7:18 PM

Thanks! Very helpful. I tried it this way and it worked well. But by the way, in my investigating I found something else also. I use a Mac and found that once in Photobucket, and with the picture selected opened to the larger view, I could just drag and drop it into the message where appropriate. Very easy.

-TWB

• 4,115 posts
Posted by tatans on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:58 PM

HOn30- - -Great instructions, but 81 lines of instructions? ?  seems like overkill doesn't it?  YIKES ! !

Surely in this magic age of computers there must be a 3 button move to do the same thing.

• 15,583 posts
Posted by hon30critter on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:20 PM

When I wrote this I had been asked by a fellow forum member who was not computer savy at all to explain things in full detail. That is exactly what I did.

You should keep in mind that this thread was written 3 years ago. At that time, not very many people understood the much quicker shortcuts that are now commonly used to post pictures. I would also venture to say that there are still a large number of people who are still not comfortable with computers and whose (older) eyes still glaze over when somebody outlines the "three simple and easy steps" to posting pictures. Many of these fellow modelers would love to share pics but they can't because nobody has taken the time to help them through in the detail that they need to get over the learning hump when first delving into these things. They need 'Computers 101' before they can understand and they likely have never had it.

So, I respectfully disagree with your suggestion that 81 pages is overkill. For most people it absolutely was overkill, but not for all. It might interest you to know that in the past three years I have received eight or so thank you notes and my blurb is still referred to regularly. (Thanks Jeffery). In fact it probably needs to be updated as a result of the recent changes to Photobucket, but that is for another day.

By your use of capitols and exclamation marks I sense that you are upset. Sorry. Perhaps to help you to calm down you could post your own "3 button" method....in a manner that everyone who reads it can understand exactly what to do without having to search for anything. Also, don't assume that they already know how to do anything.

I don't know how old you are TATANS but there will come a time when you will need a detailed explanation. I hope there is someone willing to take that time.

Dave

I'm just a dude with a bad back having a lot of fun with model trains, and finally building a layout!

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:57 PM

hon30critter
When I wrote this I had been asked by a fellow forum member who was not computer savy at all to explain things in full detail. That is exactly what I did.

AMEN! And a great job you did. Even my father understood it and he's doing good just to be able to turn a computer on.

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• 6,099 posts
Posted by Phoebe Vet on Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:15 AM

Deleted by Phoebevet

Dave

Lackawanna Route of the Phoebe Snow

• 4,115 posts
Posted by tatans on Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:46 PM

Seemingly "simple method" of posting pictures as compared  to starting a B-17,  one page of instructions,  Boeing has a film on taking an employee off the line and showing him how to start a B-17 in less than 1/2 hour, can't find it on youtube, but another video shows starting the engine is: James Kelly covers the B-17 engine starting ---on youtube,  guess maybe it's the instructor eh?

take a look.  no capitals or exclamation marks .

• 8,253 posts
Posted by mbinsewi on Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:58 PM

OK, I'm going to try this posting method as described by phoebe vet.  Bare with me...... a practice run, as I've never posted a picture in a thread before.

• 8,253 posts
Posted by mbinsewi on Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:59 PM

Wow, that was too easy.  Thanks phoebe vet.

Mike.

• 6,099 posts
Posted by Phoebe Vet on Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:51 PM

You're welcome.

Dave

Lackawanna Route of the Phoebe Snow

• 2,787 posts
Posted by Geared Steam on Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:11 PM

tatans

HOn30- - -Great instructions, but 81 lines of instructions? ?  seems like overkill doesn't it?  YIKES ! !

Surely in this magic age of computers there must be a 3 button move to do the same thing.

You counting 81 lines but didn't bother to notice the thread date? 

Dunce

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."-Albert Einstein

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/

• 15,583 posts
Posted by hon30critter on Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:10 PM

Tatans:

What is your point? You seem bent out of shape that I tried my best to help a few people who needed help. The excess use of capitals and punctuation marks was yours - not mine.

By the way, your link to the B-17 video doesn't work. Perhaps someone will offer to show you in detail how to copy a link into your post so that it actually works. I wouldn't dare attempt it.

Dave

• From: Orig: Tyler Texas. Lived in seven countries, now live in Sundown, Louisiana
  • 25,640 posts
Posted by jeffrey-wimberly on Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:14 PM

Cool it folks and lets keep it civil.

Running Bear, Sundown, Louisiana
          Joined June, 2004

Dr. Frankendiesel aka Scott Running Bear
Space Mouse for president!
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's
Running Bear Enterprises
History Channel Club life member.
beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

• 15,583 posts
Posted by hon30critter on Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:03 PM

Jeffrey:

Sorry - my bad.

Dave

• 2 posts
Posted by hobbies boy on Friday, April 12, 2013 5:52 PM

Thank you for this short advice. here it is midnight so i will try your advice tomorrow also. kind regards Bob Vis.

• 15 posts
Posted by palaz1954 on Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:10 PM

Thanks, that helps a lot!

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all