Trains.com

Pneumatic Controlled Switches

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 8 posts
Pneumatic Controlled Switches
Posted by SJ&S on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:10 PM

I am presently planning and building a G gauge (1:29 and 1:20.3) railroad in my backyard.  I am going to use remote controlled engines with sound.  I plan on using pneumatic controlled switches; the latter being made by Sunset Valley Railroad.  Does anyone have an opinion or advice on how best to make this application work?

Additionally, I understand that E-Z Air Motion Control, later EA-ZE Air Switch Controls, was bought out by the California and Oregon Coast Railway.  Their web site is down for reorganization of the company, so I am not able to get any info from them. 

Brooks
  • 1,407 posts
Posted by dwbeckett on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:30 PM

I Don"t Have any but all the post I have seen say are good.

Dave

The head is gray, hands don't work , back is weak, legs give out, eyes are gone, money go's and my wife still love's Me.

• 676 posts
Posted by Rex in Pinetop on Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:06 AM

I bought the EZ switch controls from C&OCR before they went down.  I've installed them on four of my turnouts and they bench test just fine.  Control is currently via toggle switches with spagetti air lines going all over the place.  I also have Airwire as my R/C system for my battery powered locos.  Airwire offers an R/C system for operating the pneumatic turnouts but I've yet to plunk down the dollars for it.  How does Sunset Valley Railroad control their air operators?

Rex

• 8 posts
Posted by SJ&S on Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:01 AM

Good Morning, Rex,

I haven't bought any track or switches yet, but plan to use SVR products since they've been around a long time and have very nice new owners - a Brit or Australian couple I believe by the sound of their accent.  I admire their products, too.  I did write them about the switch operation using 900 Airwire and EA-ZE Aire switch controls.  They spoke very highly about both systems which, to me, meant that the systems worked fine with their product.  I assume that one can easily install an EA-ZE Aire switch machine in place of whatever electrical switch SVR uses.  I don't, however, have any specifics.  Once I know if EA-ZE Aire is still available, I will further query SVR.  The SVR sales rep I heard from was a Pete Comley - www.svrronline.com .  He may also be the owner - not sure.

I am having Airwire installed in my engines as  we "speak," but maybe I should wait on the EA-ZE Aire until I know if they have gone out of business or not.  Another forum person wrote that a hobby shop owner had told him they were going out of business, but wasn't sure if that was true.  I know rumors get out-of-hand during issues like this so will treat it as such at this time, but with caution.

One of the main questions I had about the EA-ZE Aire was how to put the system together and also figure out what parts to buy based upon my track plan, etc.  Spaghetti certaily came to mind as you described it and I was wondering if there were ways to fine tune things to avoid some of that.

Thanks for your reply!  Brooks

Brooks
  • 29 posts
Posted by Steam on the Bel Del on Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:15 PM

I had pneumatic switch control in my garden for years; the only problem I encountered was dirt fouling the switch points. It is not really a problem of the system but of the switch install. The points must be really clean of ballast.

What is a system problem if you decide to hand throw the switch, you can't.

Other than that it worked great.

Currently my pneumatic system is disconnected.

I installed my system so long ago I had bought my stuff from Del-Aire who had the original patent for this system. Since there has been a major patent infringement I will not buy anybody else’s system.

But then it is just me.

• 8 posts
Posted by SJ&S on Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:40 PM

Thanks for your reply.  Interesting.  I remember the Del-Aire name.  Hopefully, the California and Oregon Railway outfit will resolve whatever problems they are having.  If they go out of business, I hope the pneumatic system survives in some form.  I have always been impressed with it, but am just now in a position to use it.  Guess I'll have to wait and see....  Thanks!

Brooks
  • 29 posts
Posted by Steam on the Bel Del on Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:43 PM

The reason my system is currently disconnected is that I am adding another loop, this involved putting in grades where level track was and digging down to allow the new loop pass under the formerly level line. since there was much digging I pulled a lot of the plastic tubing up and I left it lay exposed to the elements, where it promptly weathered and broke. (also the shovel was pretty tough on the hose as well) When it was protected from the sun, it didn't deteriorate. Also the switch valves aren't really designed to be left out in the weather either.

I had met the owner of Del-Aire when he was going through his legal issues and bought a lot of inventory to expand and maintain my RR. Shortly afterwards he was out of business. (I will NOT pass along what he told me, because I didn't see any concrete evidence to substantiate his allegations, However, his business did fail.)

• 947 posts
Posted by Greg Elmassian on Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:47 PM

The newer air line sold by C&OCRY is much more sun resistant, I have stuff lying out in the sun has been there about 5 years.

Their site is back up, so you should be able to order again, I am placing an order tomorrow.

Regards, Greg

p.s. don't know about patent infringement, but the cylinders are made by someone else, wonder what the problem was? Patenting using air to operate switches?

Visit my site: http://www.elmassian.com - lots of tips on locos, rolling stock and more.

Click here for Greg's web site

Search the Community

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Get the Garden Railways newsletter delivered to your inbox twice a month

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Garden Railways magazine. Please view our privacy policy