Trains.com

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Open autoracks of 1967-1969 (C&O)

14 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • 364 posts
Open autoracks of 1967-1969 (C&O)
Posted by delray1967 on Monday, February 18, 2008 3:29 PM

1.I just bought an Accurail open Bi-Level Autorack at a train show and compared it to prototype photos.  What I found is the side sill of the Accurail flat has a more modern appearance with a contured shape while proto photos show a 'C' channel shape.  Anyone know if I can put the Accurail sides on another manufacturers' flat car (are lengths/widths compatable?) for a close match?  I hope to afford another dozen of these models and don't want to scratchbuild that many, but swapping the decks seems reasonable.  I tend to be more of a rivet counter than a toy train guy but is this really a big difference that would ruin an otherwise accurate 1967 auto train?

2.The actual autoracks mounted on the flat cars are incorrect too, but I figure as long as they are all the same, they won't appear incorrect until comparing with a photo.  I figure I could add a few more cross braces to aid the appearance without too much trouble.

3.Anyone have tricks to load these cars with autos in a way that I don't have to spend $60 or more (reasonable auto models aren't cheap!)?  I figured put those nicer autos on top and put cheaper ones on the lower levels, or *gulp* casting my own, from the nicer models, and putting them on the lower levels.  Is casting practical, cheap/easy?  The auto contours seem tricky to cast.  Anyone with experience doing this?

Thanks for any suggestions/answers!

I hate counting rivets, but sometimes I can't help myself!Smile [:)]

http://delray1967.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

SEMI Free-Mo@groups.io

• 21,333 posts
Posted by MisterBeasley on Monday, February 18, 2008 5:34 PM
I think the Wal-Mart Model Power series has a '67 T-bird.  If you can find them, they're under $2.  They look great, and because of their distinctive styling, they set a time for your layout very well.  I think a car loaded with a number of these in different colors would look pretty neat.

It takes an iron man to play with a toy iron horse. 

• 24 posts
Posted by Fitter Roger on Monday, February 18, 2008 5:50 PM

I hear ya,  I built 10 of these for retirement gifts.  I work at GM in Janesville Wi, and people that hired in the 70's are leaving or left already.  They hired in building 1977-79 Chevys.  You could use the AMC Gremlins for Wal Mart Fresh Cherrys line too.  Maybe even the Pintos and Bobcats.  Watch Walthers sales as I got the Chevys for around (Gulp) $8 a piece, I only needed 150 of them.  Another place that has cars sometimes cheap is Hobby Lobby.

A note on the Chevys,  GM did do two tone (and still does)paint on the Police and Taxi cars.  Alot of the old timers remember building taxi cars.  Most of todays taxi cars are retired police cars.  GM would not put the taxi or Police logos or light bars on at the factory, so on my auto rack in the picture the paint on the taxis is correct but not the logo.  That being said we do ship fully painted Police and INS Tahoes out of here but they are finished at Monroe Trucks in Monroe WI.

Roger

• 364 posts
Posted by delray1967 on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:31 AM
I hate Wal-Mart... but it's the only place I can afford to go sometimes. I'll go there today and see if they have them. Thanks.
$8 x 150 !?! It sure adds up quick! Luckily, my trains will restage themselves so only half of them will be loaded. You're a good friend to spend that kinda cash on them. Happy retirement!

SEMI Free-Mo@groups.io

• 334 posts
Posted by nordique72 on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:15 PM

Delray-

Your Accurail autorack is an accurate model of a rack that existed- the problem is though that the rack that Accurail chose did not debut in that fashion until 1968. The flat car that it sits on is a flush deck Bethlehem 89' flatcar- and the rack design is a Paragon II type rack. The Paragon rack was not as common as the Whitehead and Kales rack (very similar looking but it had thinner support columns and they were spaced differently too.) and the car is actually a scale six inches too wide, which was done in order for the rack to fix onto the existing flush deck flat Accurail inherited from Custom Rail which was also too wide. You can mount the rack to a different flatcar (like the Walthers channel side flat) but it will have to be narrowed first in order for it to fit. Paragons were in production starting as early as 1965 and you can easily backdate a type II to a type I- so remounting one of those racks onto a different flat wouldn't be a bad idea.

It sounds like the rack you have a photo of sits on a bowl deck flatcar instead of a flush deck flat- unfortunately unless you scratchbuild or buy brass there is no model of a bowl deck available yet. In short-the model you have is accurate to a real car- but I have no idea if the C&O ever owned any Paragon racks on flush deck flats. Accurail did release a lot of roadnames on this model that were "close enough"- so I'd guess the C&O rack is one of those models.

For automobiles on my racks I used Fresh Cherries- I model the mid-70s and my racks are outfitted with AMC Gremlins, Pacers and Hornets. All of the Wal-Mart Fresh Cherries cars are of 70s and early 80s vintage, so you won't want to use those. I'm not up on who makes good late 60s models of cars/trucks so I'm afraid I can't help much there.

• 2,508 posts
Posted by dti406 on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:18 PM

Here is the listing from Jim Eager on the Modern Freight Cars List for the Accurail Auto Rack.

* Beginning in 1968 Para-Pac Type 6a racks were mounted on the new
flush-deck flats introduced that year. Accurail's kit is based on
these later cars:

NW bilevel on TTBX 963763, a Bethelem BSH11 blt 1971
<http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=457568>

SP bilevel on 515412 (515400-515449), an F-70-57 Bethlehem blt 1970
<http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/photos/sp/sp515412_brian_ehni.jpg>
SP bilevel on 515372 (515350-515399), an F-70-56 Bethlehem blt 1969
<http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/photos/sp/sp515372_jim_eager.jpg>
SSW bilevel on 84330 (84300-84399), an F-70-67 ACF blt 8-73
Photo in Thompson's SP Color Guide (V.1)
SSW 84349, same
Photo in Kinkaid's SP Color Guide V.2
SSW 84302, same
Photo in the 12/01 Railmodel Journal
SSW trilevel on SSW 84808 (84784-84808), a Bethlehem blt 2-69
Photo in the 4/00 Railmodel Journal

ATSF bilevel on ATSF 88721 (88706- 88736), an Ft-77 ACF flush-deck blt 1972

B&O bilevel on TTBX 961863, a Bethlehem BSH11 blt 7-69
B&O bilevel on TTBX 963017, a Bethlehem BSH11 blt 1970
Photo in Bossler's B&O Color Guide

CN bilevel on CN 710610, an HSC flush-deck blt 1972
<http://gelwood.railfan.net/cn/cn710601s.jpg>
CN bilevel on CN 710632, same
Photo in the 1974 Car & Loco Cyc

PC bilevel on TTBX 962577, a Bethlehem BSH11 blt 10-69
<http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_pc962577.jpg>
PC bilevel on TTBX 961785, a Bethlehem BSH11 blt 7-69

SLSF bilevel on TTBX 961296, a Bethlehem BSH10 blt in 1968
Photo in Molo's Frisco/Katy Color Guide

SOU trilevel on RTTX 963470, a Bethlehem BSH11 blt 9-70
<http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/freight/autorack/sou_tri_au\
to.html
>
SOU trilevel on TTRX 963485, also a Bethlehem BSH11 blt 9-70
Photo in Classic Freight Cars V.6
SOU bilevel on TTRX 962037, a Bethlehem BSH11 blt 7-69
Photo in the 12/01 Railmodel Journal
SOU trilevel on TTRX 962049, same
SOU trilevel on TTRX 962096, same
Photo in Kinkaid's Southern Color Guide

Hope this is some use.  

Rick

Rule 1: This is my railroad.

Rule 2: I make the rules.

Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome, but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

• 21,333 posts
Posted by MisterBeasley on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:24 PM

I'm wondering about the weight of so many die-cast autos on one autorack.  Isn't that going to be kind of heavy?  Maybe you'll need to un-weight the basic car for the loaded racks, while keeping it weighted for the empties.

It takes an iron man to play with a toy iron horse. 

• 334 posts
Posted by nordique72 on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:52 PM
NMRA standards dictate that an HO scale car weigh should be calculated by the following equation- add one ounce of weight per each actual inch on the length of the car. This would set the standard weight of an Accurail rack to around 12 ounces- the car straight out of box unloaded weighs around 6 ounces- far too light- but add the weight of a full load (18) Fresh Cherries on it tops out around 13 ounces- just a hair heavier than the target weight. Still it isn't a bad idea to keep the loaded racks somewhere near the front of the train just to be on the safe side. I've also heard others voice concerns about the cars being top heavy if loaded with the diecast cars- but I've never had a problem with them tipping over in a curve (on the other hand I used to have a multitude of problems with my empty Accurail racks derailing because they were too light- forcing me to always run them on the end of my trains.)
  • 364 posts
Posted by delray1967 on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:36 PM

Paragon racks?  Good tip, I'll have to research those more to see what the differences are.  There is another train show in a couple of weeks (Gratiot Valley-see you there!) I will see what is there.  I found that Accurail car for $5, hopefully I can find more!  Great pics, thanks!  Once I'm done building a few Branchline Trains kits, Kato covered hoppers are next, then on to the autoracks.  Research is the cheapest aspect of the hobby, except for the time.  I'm contemplating scratchbuilding the racks, I'll have to build the Accurail kit first and see...

The NMRA standard for HO is one ounce of inital weight plus 1/2 ounce for each inch of car length, about 7 ounces for a 12" autorack.  Good idea stripping off as much weight as possible.  I'm a member of a modular group, Ford Model Railroad Club, and can run long trains on our layout (no grades).  The layout I'm planning has a steep grade in it, (around 3% I think) so I'm working on a mock-up to see if my RSD-7 can pull a long, heavy train up and out of the Canada/Detroit tunnel.  Although in the planning stages, I'm trying to forsee all problems before I get to the bench work phase.  The more responses I get, the more I think weight will be a problem.  Maybe I'll leave off the underbody weight of the loaded cars, letting the autos be the weight.  Center of gravity may be a problem.  It may take a while, but I will give updates on my progress.

SEMI Free-Mo@groups.io

• 3,130 posts
Posted by dstarr on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 11:14 AM
 delray1967 wrote:

3.Anyone have tricks to load these cars with autos in a way that I don't have to spend $60 or more (reasonable auto models aren't cheap!)?  I figured put those nicer autos on top and put cheaper ones on the lower levels, or *gulp* casting my own, from the nicer models, and putting them on the lower levels.  Is casting practical, cheap/easy?  The auto contours seem tricky to cast.  Anyone with experience doing this?

Thanks for any suggestions/answers!

I hate counting rivets, but sometimes I can't help myself!Smile [:)]

I loaded my autorack with molded plastic sedans that came in a three pack from LifeLike.  At a train show these were only $2 a three pack.  You can improve the looks of the cars by making bottoms for them out of black construction paper.  The bottom blocks the view of the autorack deck thru the sedan windshield which is a big improvement.  

Or, check Walmart for $2 1:87 scale toy cars.  The ordinary Hotwheels toys are too big to fit, but the 1:87 cars can be very nice.  Might be a tad heavy, but you can't have everything.  I have a '53 Caddy convertable and type 356 Porche waiting for my layout to get to the scenicking stage.

• 404 posts
Posted by bcawthon on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:01 PM

Atlas will be getting the Main Street Motors cars pretty soon. These are injection-molded plastic cars that fit just fine on the Accurail Bi-Level and Tri-Level auto racks. They retail for $8.95 each, but I have seen them discounted to just over $7.00 at places like Burbank's House of Hobbies. They include a 1968 Plymouth Fury sedan that will be offered in six colors. The '68 Fury was introduced in the fall of 1967, so it should make the cut for your period.

You might still be able get some of the late 1960s Pontiac GTOs from the first release of the Reel Rides. They're around $2.00 or so at Wally World.

The problem I found with some of the Fresh Cherries is that they are too tall to fit on the middle and bottom racks of my Accurail Tri-Level cars. Others were okay, but all of them are too late for your late 1960s time frame.

Bill C.

• 364 posts
Posted by delray1967 on Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:06 PM
It's a shame about those 'cherries, they look pretty good, and I've heard a bunch of people talking about them at the last train show.  I noticed in some proto pic, due to the length, fewer station wagons were needed to fully load the racks, so I could save some $$$ that way.  Caddies are long too.

SEMI Free-Mo@groups.io

• 404 posts
Posted by bcawthon on Friday, February 22, 2008 1:34 AM

The problem with a bunch of the Malibu models is that they are convertibles, which would have been shipped with the top up. The Reel Rides GTO is a hardtop. As I understand it, the GTO will eventually migrate to the Malibu line and be offered in different colors.

If you want to fudge the year just a little bit, get some of the 69 Oldsmobile 442s from Model Power. Not only are they super-nice models, they fit on the auto racks very nicely and come in three colors. They retail for about $5.49 but you should be able to find them discounted from various sources.

• 11,426 posts
Posted by dknelson on Friday, February 22, 2008 8:07 AM

I have a recollection of a Model Railroad Craftsman article on kitbashing an open autorack that different from the Accurail model.  Or may memory might be playing tricks and it might have been in the old NMRA Bulletin, now Scale Rails.   

The problem with putting the very nicest model cars on the top deck, where they can be seen, and cheaper cars on the lower decks, is that the nice cars tend to be the heaviest and the cheap autos the lightest.  Total weight of the car may be close to NMRA standards but if the car is top heavy, and your curves are sharp ... potential problems. 

Dave Nelson

• 404 posts
Posted by bcawthon on Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:19 PM

For some decent-looking, yet inexpensive plastic models, go to http://www.promotex.ca/provisioner/catalogue/index.php?ProductLine=12&CategoryID=56&page=0

The Herpa Magic cars are $7.75 for a 2-pack making them less than $4.00 each. They are injection-molded plastic with very nice tooling. They are easily disassembled for painting so you can have a variety of colors. Yes, they are European prototypes, but many of them are based on cars sold in the U.S. from the early 1960s to the 1970s and they will look just fine on a moving auto rack. (Let's face it, if you're talking about using Cadillac convertibles from the early 1950s, which were out of production years before the auto rack came into use, you might as well consider cars that were at least prototypically correct for the era.)

Sadly, the one car that's missing is the VW Beetle, which was sold in huge numbers in the U.S. in the 1960s and early 1970s and was shipped by auto rack.

Subscriber & Member Login

Login, or register today to interact in our online community, comment on articles, receive our newsletter, manage your account online and more!

Users Online

There are no community member online

Search the Community

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Model Railroader Newsletter See all